Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 12:12 PM

Default AK Unimproved

I'm basically forced to give up on this hand right?

Some reads on Villain: he is extremely aggressive postflop, but semi-tight/passive preflop (20/4/4). When it's been heads-up with him in position, he's bet about 90% of hands that I checked on the turn after betting the flop. I've recently been exploiting this tendency by check-raising more frequently, with mixed results on his part.

PP NL 25 Full Ring

Hero is CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($36)
Villain is Button ($30)

2 fish limp in EP/MP, I raise to $1.5, Villain calls $1.5, blinds fold, fish call

Flop($6): 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

checked to me, I make my standard ~2/3 pot contination and bet $4.5, Villain calls, fish fold

Turn ($15): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero???

Here are my thoughts, feel free to disagree: I think we can eliminate most draws because I hold the A of spades and he is tight enough to fold Kxs hands away preflop. The only logical hand that holds two spades is KQs. His VPIP is about 20%, and my guess is that he probably has a mid-low pair, like 7s, or two strong cards like AK or AQ. However, I think he gets a kick out of trying to outplay me, so his cold calling standards may have dropped against me specifically, making it more likely that he is actually on a pure bluff.

Given all of this, is the correct line just to check/fold?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: AK Unimproved

Does he usually call your flop continuation bets? If he does, you must adjust. When you miss the flop, I recommend either checking the flop, or firing two barrels. So as played, You can fire another barrel here if you think he's calling your flop bets too much

If he calls your flop bets not frequently, then a check/fold is pretty standard