Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Hand from Brighton

This one was in a cash game before a tournement i was at in brighton.

The blinds were 2-2 and I had 300 pounds in front of me. Two players limped in from early position and I raised to 7 from the CO with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Mostly I was just pot building in late position and trying to buy the button. Sadly the button called

The sb called and the big blind reraised to 14(the minimum) and everyone called. There was a total of 80 in the pot.

The flop came T84 rainbow giving me a wrap straight draw and also gave me a backdoor flush draw. The big blind bet out for 80. The first early position player pushed his stack in for 200. The second early player folded and I wen't into the tank and wondered whether I should raise to drive the BB out or trap call to try and
get the big blind in as he had me covered.

In the end I called and he set me in for my last 100 pounds.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Hand from Brighton

In this case, it obviously wouldn't have made a difference if you pushed or just flat called.

With your giant draw, I would have just stuck all of my money in so that I wouldn't have to worry about a turn decision. But that's just me, I'm lazy!
Old 10-19-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the end I called and he set me in for my last 100 pounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what you wanted...right? A very +EV multiway. I think calling invites this more than raising. Nice play.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:30 PM

Hah, I don't have anything to say about the hand, but I just wondered where in brighton you played this? The one at the marina or what (I don't play live much). Living in Lewes, its quite wierd to find a local 2+2er. How are the tourneys there, I've always wanted to have a go.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:33 PM

Even though some of your outs are in your hand and you might be splitting with one (the BB folded AA/KK I assume) and against a set with the other, there is nothing to be done but get it all in the middle. If you were very lucky then you were against 2 sets and had more straight outs than they did. If you were headsup against another wrap then you would prefer to also have a pair on the flop, but against a known set you would rather just have more straight outs. And there is nothing wrong with a small raise in position with such hands for the reasons you gave.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:49 PM

This one was played at the Rendezvous at the Marina. I'm actually not from brighton. I'm an american that lives in Birmingham. Tourney's were ok when they had dealers. Normally it's players deal which i'm not too fond of. The structures were about average for a medium sized tourney.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:31 PM

It didnt make any difference here, and I don't think it will make much difference in the long run, but all things being equal I like your call. You want as much money in the pot as possible given your draw, so I'd prefer not to further encourage the button to fold by raising. Granted, it's not a lot of money, but it'll get in on the turn anyway so may as well just call I think.