Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Is there any way to get away from this?

3/5 NL Commerce. TT in EP. I make it 20 to go. 3 Callers including villain directly to my left. Pot ~80 Flop is unsuited rags. I bet 40. Two call. Pot now 200. Turn is T. I bet 100. Only villain calls. Villain is a tight-passive old guy that I've played against several times. Calling the 100 means for a fact that he has an overpair. Most likely aces or kings but QQ and JJ are possible. River is (GOD DAMMIT!) an Ace. I close my eyes and push all in for another 200. He calls and shows me his AA. Now there is no way my money isn't going into the middle here if villain bets, but is it better to check the river so that I have a better chance of getting action from JJ-KK? Or does JJ-KK call enough/check behind enough to make the all-in bet the proper play?

Yes I should have made a pot sized bet on the turn because I still get action from an overpair, but since I didn't what is the best play?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Is there any way to get away from this?

You cannot possibly check this river - too many hands would be scared of the ace (KK-JJ) and check behind. You are only beat by one hand and might get crazy action from AK or AT here.

Betting the turn harder is better, but this is just a tough beat...reload and play on
Old 10-15-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3/5 NL Commerce. TT in EP. I make it 20 to go. 3 Callers including villain directly to my left. Pot ~80 Flop is unsuited rags. I bet 40. Two call. Pot now 200. Turn is T. I bet 100. Only villain calls. Villain is a tight-passive old guy that I've played against several times. Calling the 100 means for a fact that he has an overpair. Most likely aces or kings but QQ and JJ are possible. River is (GOD DAMMIT!) an Ace. I close my eyes and push all in for another 200. He calls and shows me his AA. Now there is no way my money isn't going into the middle here if villain bets, but is it better to check the river so that I have a better chance of getting action from JJ-KK? Or does JJ-KK call enough/check behind enough to make the all-in bet the proper play?

Yes I should have made a pot sized bet on the turn because I still get action from an overpair, but since I didn't what is the best play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the value in pushing the river if you're 100% sure he was on an overpair. If he's a tight old guy like you say it seems like you will get called only when you're beat...do you really think he will call with KK-JJ? Of course, this is assuming you're read for him only having AA-JJ is dead on. If you think there's any chance he could have AK or AQs some small percentage of the time, then that could change things.

Having said this, if you check and he moves in, you'd be getting 3-1 and I don't think you can fold. He would have to be one of those super nits that you just know has never gotten out of line a day in his life before you can find a fold.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:33 PM

I don't think there is much else you can do this hand. I do like the betout on the river because:
1) you can't fold to his river bet, the pot is too big to be sure enough to fold a set there.
2) if you check, almost every weaker hand will check behind, and the stronger hand will bet for you. (as in 1 we established you will call).

So you gain nothing by checking but potentially get called by a weaker hand by betting.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:48 PM

You cant get away from this.

You have to bet river. only 200 into 400 pot. He's getting 3 to 1 for his whatever. If you check, no way this weak/tightie bets with his JJ. When he has the hand you'd originally put him on, you may not get paid if you bet river; you absolutely wont get paid if you check.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:53 PM

Give us a [censored] break.
Closed Thread