Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 12:34 PM

Default Overaggressive when you sit down (2 questions).

When u sit down against unknowns u have to think they are pretty average for the limit you play. If they attack u have to think they got a hand and often fold. And if u attack they have to think u got a hand and often fold.

Question 1: Is it a good rule to be a bit more aggreissve then normal when u sit down?

Question 2: Is it a good rule to think the others will be a bit more aggreissive then normal against u when u sit down?

Came to think about this because often posters ask about what they should do against an unknown that is overly aggressive. But normally, since u dont know they are overly aggressive, there is nothing you can do, unless question 2 is answered with a "yes".
Old 06-28-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Overaggressive when you sit down (2 questions).

Question 1: I don't think so, because I'll be playing aggressively later too, and I'd rather them get the impression that I'm tight early on so I can steal pots more easily later.

Question 2: I think it might be a good rule, because in general you'd be making a bigger mistake by potentially folding the winning hand in a pot than you would be making a potentially loose river call. Plus if you call down with some marginal hands early on it might help for metagame purposes and you might not get people taking as many shots at you, and by seeing a showdown you otherwise might not have seen you'll be able to get a better idea how they're playing and they won't be as unknown to you. It also seems some players just naturally like to take shots at the new guy at the table for whatever reason, but I don't know that for sure, so I don't think it counts.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:50 PM

Q1: You should be more aggressive than the avg player at your limit... so you should automatically have that working in your favor. However, I think you were asking if you should be more aggressive than you normally are. I don't think so. I think my standard aggression is good enough, and I prefer to adjust it based on what I see from these new unknows.

Q2: I think you encounter many approaches here. Some do not change there play vs you, some tend to attach you more, and some give you a little more benefit of the doubt until you prove you are a jackass. I think that there is no universal tendency here. As different as each players overall style varies from player to player.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus if you call down with some marginal hands early on it might help for metagame purposes and you might not get people taking as many shots at you, and by seeing a showdown you otherwise might not have seen you'll be able to get a better idea how they're playing and they won't be as unknown to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. I usually call down lightly after first sitting down at a table.