Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 11:48 PM

Default best site for sng\'s

I am just beginning to play poker on line. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the best place to play sngs on line?
Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 AM

Default Re: best site for sng\'s

Personally, I would avoid SnGs if you are just starting to play poker...if you've got B&M limit experience, then I'd play at PokerStars. The games aren't quite as soft as Party, but the blind structures are more favorable for the skilled player, in my opinion.

Play well,

CCC
Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 AM

I don't have a complete answer by any means, but...I think if you want practice playing a short stack, play at Party; if you want a bit more postflop practice, Stars may be a better bet because the larger starting chip counts allow you to play a few more speculative hands when the blinds are low.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:21 AM

Play at a site that offers $5+.50 not $5+1

Lori
Old 08-18-2004, 02:46 AM

Ultimate Bet
Old 08-18-2004, 04:46 AM

I can only speak for party and Pstars.

The question is .. What site will fit my goals/games style?

Pokerstars SnGs are slower with a larger chip pool. This favors the more skillfull players. The games are a little tougher here though. ALso the SnGs take a little longer here compared to party.

Party SnGs are faster blinds and lower chip pool. It makes luck a bigger factor, but the players at party are generally worse then at stars. The SnGs only last about 45 minutes at party.

In Summary.

Party is great if you want a faster game, and eventualy the best place (IMO) to make more $$/hour.

Stars is a more skill oriented game, but it takes longer to finish. You can have some great poker here, but if pure $$/hour is what your after then party is better.

Stars offers a 5+.50 party does not.

I recomend trying different sites and seeing what game suits your style of play better. One other thing to mention is: It is my observation that most of this forum plays primarily at Party, so if you will freaquent this forum then you may have more to gain if you also play there. If you dont have a party account use affiliate code blah blah blah..Hehe just kidding. I just thought I sounded like a salesmen. anyways... Good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 08:25 AM

I'm fairly new to poker and am currently playing the $5 + .50 tables at Pacific. The games can take a while, the blinds move every 15 hands, but I think that's a better way to work on your skills than the quicker moving blinds where luck is more of a factor. Although as a negative be ready to go well over an hour if you're lucky enough to be in the final 2 or 3. Of course, that's better than the quicker alternative [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 11:36 AM

Party can be a real heart breaker for new players, I have a sample of 10+1s of only 30 with -4% ROI, looking back over the hand histories I could have avoided this but only by playing weak tight. Stars is by far my best site for SNGs, first you get more play per dollar if you are just learning and less ridiculous play even at the lowest levels, (whether this is a good thing or not is open to debate) the shame is most people prefer Party as dollars seem to be their main motivation for playing, so the games are thinner on the ground at Stars as a result, especially at higher buy ins.

I haven't played much at Party for about 3 weeks and I'm seriously considering emptying my account or at least just doing MTTs there.

Regards mack
Old 08-18-2004, 12:04 PM

I agree that if you are really just starting out playing poker, you should find a site that offers small buy-ins with a small fee. Poker Stars and Ultimate Bet (as well and a few others, I believe) offer $5+.50 SNGs, which obviously a better value than Party's $5+1.

However, if you have some experience, then I think Party is clearly the place to make more money. If playing Party, I would start at the $10+1 level (all sites pretty much have the same fees once you get to $10 buy-ins and higher). The play in these things is absolutely atrocious, and a good patient player who knows how to change speeds near the bubble can absolutely crush these games. The $10+1 (and other lower limit games) will not be as easy to beat as the games at Party and when you do cash, it will have taken you 20-40% longer to do it.

Therefore, if $/hr is your concern, I believe it's more than worth your time and effort to get familiar with the Party structure and players and play as many tables simultaneously as you feel comfortable with (CAUTION - multitabling is not for everyone and almost no one plays as well multi-ing as they do when focusing on one game at a time; I learned this the hard way when I first started out). Another benefit of Party is that it will never take longer than 30 seconds or so to get a SNG under way because of the huge number of players they have online around the clock. Stars can be a little slow getting games going every now and then, and there are times when starting a game at UB is near impossible.

If you're looking at SNGs as more of training ground for satellites and/or larger tourneys, I would recommend the games at PokerStars (both single and 2 or 3-table SNGs) because you will be practicing against tougher competition in a more reasonably paced structure.

I think Ultimate Bet is kind of in the middle in both the diffculty of the games and the blind structure, but as I said, the number of players is lower than the other two sites.

Best of luck with your first venture into the online rooms! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2004, 12:21 PM

Default i\'ve often thought, \"How good are Party SNG players---

even at the higher limits- compared to Stars?" i've often thought that simply being able to make more money on Party because of the constant and often weaker action does'nt really say much about how good you are. now, that's not to say Party does'nt have good players. it just that when you start with a lower stack and the blind levels seem to move faster, it seems as if less skill is involved and more luck. since weak players often rely on that luck factor as evidence in their play and strategy, being able to win money from this type of playing does'nt take alot of skill. even on Stars with the bigger starting stacks, i've often coasted to the money and won one and two table SNGs simply by watching crapshoot players crash and burn. does that mean i played with skill? no. i was simply observant and disciplined enough to stay out of the way. that's very easy to do when you're not getting cards. i feel there is more strategy and thinking involved when playing with a Stars stack. to me, that was crucial to my development as a new player and it still is. IMO, Party's structure can have a bad effect on a beginning player's development when it comes to the nuiances of the game. i've ran into quite a few low level Party players that switched to PS, who had got caught up in all the hype about being able to make alot of money off the bad players at Party. IMO, PS is alot better for beginners who are serious about learning to play the game and play well. it takes time though, wherever you play. even on Stars, i did'nt become better until i actually started to play for Real Money. i still have a long way to go.

good luck, dude

Destin