Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 01:14 AM

Default AQ the monster laydown

Really interesting hand IMO. Second hand of a 200 SNG I limp from UTG+2 with AQo. A player who on the first hand went all in to steal the 25 in blinds, and who I have in my notes as "crazy fish", min raises to 30. Like the flop play in a limit shorthanded game, this means nothing.

Button, SB, BB, and I come along for the ride.

Flop A95, 2 diamonds. Checked to me, I bet 150. Fishy calls, and a player who I see often, but for some reason have no notes on, calls from the button. The rest fold.

Turn: A diamond. I think and check, crazy fish goes all-in. Right as I am prepared to call, the player on the button calls the all-in. I fold.

Comments appreciated.

-Jason
Old 08-15-2004, 01:31 AM

Default Re: AQ the monster laydown

I think you have to fold here. Button has to have something since he knows there is a chance you have something (which you do) so he has more to worry about that just the crazy fish. Sure looks like a flopped set or something like KQd and more likely the set.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:58 AM

Someone who flopped a set is dreaming of the board pairing and giving someone trips against their boat. Good fold.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:35 AM

If the button has "crazy fish" in his notes too, he could be calling with any pair here (unlikely to have called on the flop though), or an A with a weaker kicker. (VERY possibly an A with weak kicker, after calling your raise preflop and smooth calling on the flop.) I'm not sure I like your fold. I think its primarily dependent on your read on the button. Absent all other info, I probably call online and fold in real life.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:28 PM

Actually he LIMPED from MP with AQo. Mistake no. 1 then flopping Top pair 2nd best kicker he makes a smallish bet. Mistake no. 2. Then layes it down. But considering the way he played this hand from pre flop to lay down it was the least of the mistakes.

If one insists on limping with a good hand per flop then when a "fish" raises I like the reraise here to see where I stand. I will be raising or folding in this position.

No testorine problems here.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:50 PM

was that supposed to be "testosterone?"
Old 08-15-2004, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a player who I see often, but for some reason have no notes on,

[/ QUOTE ]
You have no notes on that player because the player hasn't done anything that surprised you. That probably means the player isn't crazy, so you need a very strong hand to overcall. You may have the best hand, but I think the percentage play is to fold.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:08 PM

Hey Mike,

I used to raise AQo, now I limp. I raise AQs. This is when the blinds are low, and when I'm out of position.

In my game, a typical opponent will not call an opening raise with AJo. Raising AQo where I will not get calls from many dominated hands, and playing a larger pot out of position is not good. If I had good position, I would have no problem raising. AQ also has great value IMO when the flop comes Axx, because people with hands like AJ and AT and worse will often passively pay you off. It's also easy to fold to a lot of aggression, because you haven't made a big pot.

My bet on the flop was exactly the pot. By my book that is not a smallish bet, but a standard bet.

[ QUOTE ]
If one insists on limping with a good hand per flop then when a "fish" raises I like the reraise here to see where I stand. I will be raising or folding in this position.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fish called my flop bet and raised me all-in on the turn. How do I reraise here? When do you suggest I reraise?

I think you have a few of the details of this post off,

-Jason
Old 08-15-2004, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: A diamond. I think and check, crazy fish goes all-in. Right as I am prepared to call, the player on the button calls the all-in. I fold.

Comments appreciated.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

A push and a call behind here is enough to convince me to fold this early, without horrendous amount committed to the pot, and a stack left to work with.

eastbay
Old 08-15-2004, 01:20 PM

Eastbay,

I forget if u play the 50 or 100s. Either way, do you raise or limp AQo in early to mid position?