Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Erostratus, mine was probably worse than yours...

the other day in a SNG with 5 players left, i went all-in with a little over 1100 as a shortsack with A 8 suited (blinds were like 100/200, i was in BB)and a LAG player (in SB who limped the extra 100) who had me outchipped by only 100 more called me with 8 9 offsuit and caught a 9 on the turn. was he correct in calling?
Old 08-17-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Math Question

LOL - maybe you beter reread what I said - it is what happens in real life. Telling this guy that bigger stacks don't need much to attack smaller ones id a FACT of poker life. Or you one of those guys who likes to call with AQ then fold when an A hits the board. LOL I have been a winning player for many years - go to the archives in the 99 2000 - look up rounder - same advice that helped many a player willing to listen.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Erostratus, mine was probably worse than yours...

If he could see the community cards that were coming, then yes...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL - maybe you beter reread what I said - it is what happens in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]
I reread what you said. You cold-called the all-in blinds with 52s. You seem to think this was a good play, because... it's just what people do with big stacks. Everyone else thinks it was a bad play because you are a clear underdog against random hands, you sought chip variance rather than avoiding it, and there is little benefit if you succeed in knocking the short stacks out. What did I miss?

[ QUOTE ]
Telling this guy that bigger stacks don't need much to attack smaller ones id a FACT of poker life.

[/ QUOTE ]
What, if anything, did you mean by that incoherent collection of words?

[ QUOTE ]
Or you one of those guys who likes to call with AQ then fold when an A hits the board.

[/ QUOTE ]
In the hand you are describing, the player had bet the pot on the flop and gotten two callers. A flush card came, pairing the board, the preflop raiser overbet all-in, and someone else called all-in. It takes a much stronger hand to overcall than to call. Yet, you describe it as though the player check-folded on an ace-high flop.

At this point I don't believe you have anything to contribute. I think you are going out of your way to say stupid things in a provocative fashion. I'm going to ignore you henceforth. Good bye.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he could see the community cards that were coming, then yes...

[/ QUOTE ]

but what about the odds? is his play incorrect because we have about the same amount of chips or is it incorrect because he did'nt have a big chiplead over me? i just went out in 6th in a 2-table SNG with A Q. i got called by a guy who probably had me outchipped by 1000. he called with A J and caught a J on the river. was his call correct with odds? i'm trying to understand when it correct and when it is'nt.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:53 PM

The odds of a particular hand after you know what your opponent has is irrelevant. Is a big stack with QQ incorrect to call your all-in button raise with 5xBB when you have KK?

Some of the folks in this thread are too caught up in the final results of what happened and not looking at the situation for what it is. All in with K7o is nuts...unless you look at the situation. With a short stack that still has some power, two random blinds in front of me, I'm likely to take my shot here as well. Especially if I know the blinds to be tight. The big stack in the BB might give me pause...but you are going to have him in front of you nearly every time.

As for the hand in question...I'm not calling 1/4 of my stack with JT. If you had 500 or less, I'm probably going to call with that hand. I will agree with MikeGuz to a point, but with this catch...if I can attempt a knockout with a tiny percentage of my stack AND reasonable pot odds (Example: I'm in the BB of 200 with 27o and someone with 300 raises all in), I'm calling every time. As the percentage of my stack gets larger, and the chances that my hand is not a favorite go up, I fold.

As for the call with JT...here's the thought process, I think. Desperate short stack goes all-in on the button, I have a hand (was it suited?) that has a number of ways to improve, and if I'm up against anything other than an overpair or a bigger J or T, I have a fair chance to knock you out, add to my stack, and waltz to a money finish. If I lose, I still have a good stack with 3000 chips, and still have a decent chance to win and a very good chance to get in the money.

Not to say this is correct thinking, but I don't think this is the worst call I've ever seen...not by a longshot.

Play well,

CCC
Old 08-17-2004, 11:17 PM

He has your chips and your broke so obviously it was the right play!

Oh wait, I was just overcome by the spirit of a shitty player.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:22 PM

As Jason Strasser said, negative Tchip ev is always negative tournament ev.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:32 PM

Calling an all-in is attacking?
Old 08-18-2004, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and by the way, 60/40 is 3:2, not 5:3, but I'm sure you know that

[/ QUOTE ]

What's 21/15?