Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Small set. Did I chicken out?

This hand came up tonight and made me ask a few questions. Firstly with a small pair facing a raise and several callers do you value you hand less preflop or do the extra callers now give me the implied odds that make it correct to call? If there were only the original raiser(say he is a decent player) would you fold this at this stage in the tournament? Next was my raise and other bets ok or was the turn bet too small? How much would you bet or push here? Third question after my opponent called preflop raise, flop bet and raise and then turn bet would you shut down on river or commit all of your chips here? Would you worry about a bigger set(I thought KK so I checked)? As always any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t5 (10 handed)

MP3 (t705.00)
Hero (t985.00)
Button (t945.00)
SB (t895.00)
BB (t1000.00)
UTG (t1205.00)
UTG+1 (t1485.00)
UTG+2 (t910.00)
MP1 (t1000.00)
MP2 (t870.00)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t5.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t50</font>, UTG+2 calls t50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t50, MP3 folds, Hero calls t50, Button calls t50, SB (poster) folds, BB folds.

Flop: (t265) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets t80</font>, UTG+2 calls t80, MP2 calls t80, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, Button folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls t220, MP2 calls t220.

Turn: (t1245) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t210</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 calls t210.

River: (t1665) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: t1665

What do you put him on?

Results: <font color="white"> </font>
Old 08-17-2004, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Small set. Did I chicken out?

I definitely push this turn. The pot is so huge he has to call you. The only hand I'm worried about here is the nut flush, you are beating anything else he might have (AK not both hearts, Ah Qx, Ah Jx).
Old 08-17-2004, 09:10 PM

What he has doesn't matter. You have the best hand and should be pushing the turn. On the off chance you don't have the best hand on the turn, "gg", next SNG, but it's not going to come to that because you have the best hand on the turn.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:17 PM

I push on the turn -- if he's on a draw at least I make him pay, although I doubt it if he's on the flush draw given that he called your bet on the flop with no draw. He must have an A. If has two pair he probably gets more aggressive.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:49 PM

For your first question, small pairs have more value with many people in the pot, because you will be playing for trips or fold, and with many people in the pot, you are likely to have someone else hit a hand on this type of board(TPTK, two pair, etc.) If it was only the original raiser, I still like to call up to 3XBB, depending upon how much of my stack I'm putting at risk. Hitting trips are where you make a lot of your money in NL SnGs, imho.

I like the flop raise. Big, but not so big that you drive everyone out. The turn bet was far too small. You should have pushed at this point. If he has AKh, you want to make him pay for his draw.

You can't put him on a flush or straight (AK or AQh the only real possibility unless this guy is a superfish), which means there are only two hands that can beat you (AA or KK). I'd put him on AK or AQ. I think you need to count this hand as good. I haven't read the results...can't wait to see.

Play well,

CCC
Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 PM

Thanks for the comments, in retrospect I realized my turn mistake which was too easy for him to call and that put the doubt in my mind that he had AA or KK and was trapping me and I definitely should have made any draws pay the max here.
For anybody who was interested he held AQ of different suits and none to the flush(can't remember exact suits).
Old 08-17-2004, 11:55 PM

omg did you chicken out!!!!!! I would bet as much as you would think he would call.