Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Re: AQ the monster laydown

I'm inclined to agree with hockey1 here. You always talk about how you like to play earlier streets so you have easy decisions (or no decisions) on later streets. By raising with AQ you make the flop much easier to play.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Haha weak tight thats the funniest thing i ever heard...........

...........Strasser is the loosest LAG in the known universe! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards Mack
Old 08-17-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Re: AQ the monster laydown

I assume you limp with both QKo and QKs or do you raise with them suited out of position? QK is a big trouble hand for me.

Also, did you used to (or still do) play pool in the Green Room? If so, we may know each other.

(Please tell me you don't go to Puke) [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: For MikeGuz old AQ thread

Mitch,

Not sure what to make out of the post but enjoyed reading it. AQ is the same sort of hand as JJ - I tend to play semi agressive and semi tight. Hell the other day I was in a live tournament with thie guy on my left who raised with all kind of stuff but Just called UTG maniac small raised checked to me I fold AQ limper on my left raised all in with KK - I just knew he had this monster and the maniac had some suited rags. All I lost here was my bb. But I had a good read on this guy and acted on it.

Any way thanks for posting the archive.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:34 PM

I'll typically limp with AQo early (occasionally fold...very rarely raise) at a full table, especially out of position. I look at it this way...feel free to flame.

If I limp for 15 chips or 20 chips and it goes around the table unraised, I figure to be able to play it strongly if an A or Q-high flops uncoordinated. If I miss, or get raised by a player I respect, I lose 1 BB.

Conversely, if I raise to 75 or 100 out of position, and get reraised, I'm likely in trouble (AK, KK, QQ), or a small dog (any pair) and should fold...and I'm out a much healthier chunk of my stack. If I call the reraise and miss, I'm out even more. If an A or Q hits, I will lead out because of all the hands that would likely reraise me, only two (AK, AA) put me in big trouble on the A, and one more on the Q (QQ). Of course, trips or two pair would be a rather nasty predicament, too.

I guess for me it boils down to this. Unless you have a very tricky (or lousy...your call) player that will limp with AA, KK, QQ or AK, if my limp makes it around that gives me a lot of information, and it's information that tells me I'm up against inferior hands or smaller pairs. If I raise and get called or reraised, now I'm betting out of positing into an different, and better, range of hands.

As for the hand in question, I would probably call here. Trip Aces are still likely to be best with a Q kicker, and even though I might get busted, I can likely live with myself getting busted with trip aces. If someone's already got the boat or AK, tip your cap and sign up for the next one.

Play well,

CCC
Old 08-17-2004, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mitch,

Not sure what to make out of the post but enjoyed reading it. AQ is the same sort of hand as JJ - I tend to play semi agressive and semi tight. Hell the other day I was in a live tournament with thie guy on my left who raised with all kind of stuff but Just called UTG maniac small raised checked to me I fold AQ limper on my left raised all in with KK - I just knew he had this monster and the maniac had some suited rags. All I lost here was my bb. But I had a good read on this guy and acted on it.

Any way thanks for posting the archive.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I learned from the thread is that AQo with deep stacks and out of position is tricky. It is similar to AQo in a cash NL game. If the people behind you play poorly and will play Ax and go too far with it AQo is a great hand. But if the people behind you play well they are mostly going to be folding worse hands, and reraising better hands. Also if they do just call they are not likely to pay you if when you hit. So that is why I am cautious with AQ in this spot.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:42 PM

Guess that can be said about alot of hands - I happen to like to play AQo agressivally at the right type of table. I will muck it to at the drop of a hat if I think I am beat. Thing is limping with most any hand IMHO is WRONG in NLHE - Personally I like to play Axs and suited coupled against big fields so I don't raise with them. Most ther hands I am raising or folding it's the only way I know where I am specially against the blinds I just hate giving a couple of rags a free ride to beat my big A. Anyway this AQ debate can go on for ever I have to go to trump to buy into the $500 for tomorrows tournament.