Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Bernard Lee\'s Boston Herald Articles.

Since these hands weren't televised I thought I'd share with you guys. In the Boston Herald every thursday Bernard Lee has a column called "Final Table" (kind of ironic since he didn't make it). He talks about different hands he played. One hand he had 2Q and was going to limp but decided not to and the flop was QQ10 and he was lucky he didnt play because Steve Dannenman held 1010. Anyways last week he was talking about how he had KK w/ under 100 people left. He raised and got reraised from 40 to 80K. Bernard Lee folded them face up preflop and said, "I know you have aces" Sure enough the other guy showed the aces. Jason Lester said it was the best laydown he's ever seen.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Bernard Lee\'s Boston Herald Articles.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways last week he was talking about how he had KK w/ under 100 people left. He raised and got reraised from 40 to 80K. Bernard Lee folded them face up preflop and said, "I know you have aces" Sure enough the other guy showed the aces. Jason Lester said it was the best laydown he's ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on stack sizes, if his read was really that good, isn't this a horrible fold? You said it was raised from 40k to 80k, so he was getting over 3-1 to call (due to blinds and antes). He's about 18% to win, but the implied odds are huge if he knows he has AA.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyways last week he was talking about how he had KK w/ under 100 people left. He raised and got reraised from 40 to 80K. Bernard Lee folded them face up preflop and said, "I know you have aces" Sure enough the other guy showed the aces. Jason Lester said it was the best laydown he's ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on stack sizes, if his read was really that good, isn't this a horrible fold? You said it was raised from 40k to 80k, so he was getting over 3-1 to call (due to blinds and antes). He's about 18% to win, but the implied odds are huge if he knows he has AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he thought the raise was strange..
Old 11-17-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with this statement. It's the exact same reasoning behind Farha's decision to call a 1k raise with 33 while the blinds were 25/50. He knew they were aces and knew he would bust the other guy if he hit his set. Farha hit the set and cleaned him out.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 PM

i think the difference is when the blinds are low risking some chips for implied odds is much better than when the blinds are high. i.e. thats why raymer says it is almost never correct to limp towards the end of tourneys. any pot you win is really important. so not calling off 40K here is not so bad. granted if the stacks are big he should definitely take a shot.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he thought the raise was strange..

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my point is that there are 3 scenarios here that seem to make sense:

1) The stacks are relatively short, and he was sure his opponent had AA, making it a great fold.

2) The stacks are at least somewhat deep, and he was sure his opponent had AA - thus making this a mistake, due to his huge implied odds should he flop a set.

3) The stacks are at least somewhat deep, and he wasn't sure his opponent had AA - in which case he was lucky, and made a huge mistake.

If the stacks are short and he had a great read, then this might actually be a great fold - I just think the stack sizes are crucial to evaluating this play.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 PM

Bernard Lee sucks.