Two Plus Two Older Archives

Old 07-23-2005, 11:11 PM
NYplayer NYplayer is offline
Member

Default old abdul article

does anyone know where i can find an old abdul article where he outlines the different thinking at different levels from 3-6 through 300-600?

thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 11:50 PM
DcifrThs DcifrThs is offline
Senior Member

Default Re: old abdul article

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone know where i can find an old abdul article where he outlines the different thinking at different levels from 3-6 through 300-600?

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

it used to be on his website [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] .. can't find it now though

i hope this thread produces it b/c i do remember seeing it once but it was back when i was reading the archives 1 month at a time and i didn't understand SH*T back then.

-Barron
Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 AM
Keres Keres is offline
Junior Member

Link to thread at google groups

Abdul Jalib Feb 22 2000, 4:00 am

This is a tour of the layers of poker society...

$300-$600+
Here the sharks are world class players, and the fish are whales like literally Persian princes or American billionaires. Sometimes $100-$200 pros follow whales into the game but they are shark bait. These games are almost always short-handed unless there is a whale, in which case professionals and their mothers may be flying into town to get onto a long waiting list. I've never played this high, so my knowledge is a bit lacking. This limit is home to the brother-sister duo of Howard Lederer and Annie Duke.

$100-$200
This is the domain of the tournament pros and the idle rich. Someone said that the more world series bracelets in the game, the better the game, and that's generally (but not quite always) true. They all golf by day and gamble heavily on it. Usually these games are short-handed. The real ring game professionals at this limit are extremely tough, e.g., Lenny Martin.

$60-$120
Largely the same culture as $100-$200, but a $300-$600 pro will sometimes demean himself by playing $100-$200, while you almost never see them in a $60-$120, whereas $30-$60 pros will often jump into a live $60-$120 but not a $100-$200. Overall, the average $60-$120 pro is a weaker player than the grinders down in $30-$60. Tells in $60-$120 are usually reverse tells. For example, in hold'em if a $60-$120 player checks his hole cards when a third of the suit hits, then he already has the flush most of the time. The fish at this limit sometimes have no idea how to play poker and will blow off a few thousand in an hour.

$30-$60
Here live the grinders that play day in and day out, 8+ hours per day. $30-$60 is the high water mark for most professionals, and it's not uncommon for a game to be all professionals, in which case you have to wonder about their sanity. It's also possible to have a game with only one or two pros in it, which just doesn't happen at higher limits. One thing that is striking about this limit is how darned aggressive it is compared to lower limits, though $60-$120 cranks it up to an even higher pitch. This is the last limit that S&M's Hold'em for Advanced Players is of much use. A lot of these players are extremely good, such as Roy Cooke.

$15-$30
Here you'll find the common recreational gamblers, the weak/learning pros, and the Abduls who bounce between $15-$30 and $60-$120 since those games are usually better than than the $30-$60. In Vegas, these games are very weak-tight, and the players fold much too often, while in L.A. these games are very loose rammin' jammin' games.

$10-$20
This is the land of starving professionals and some truly horrendous fish. If you thought $15-$30 was weak-tight, that's nothing compared to $10-$20. The game is normally passive, in addition to weak-tight, and it's is the first limit for which S&M's Hold'em for Advanced Players is geared. Both $10-$20 and $15-$30 allow truly stunning win rates for top notch players, in excess of two big bets per hour, since a top notch player can identify when his weak opponent has no hand in a pot that is heads up from the flop. $3-$6, $10-$20, and $60-$120 are the most common limits to encounter someone who has never played poker before.

$6-$12
Land of gamb000ling fish. The contrast with $10-$20 is incredible. You'll need about as big a bankroll for $6-$12 as $10-$20, because the $6-$12 games are so much wilder and also the rake/time takes a much bigger toll.

$3-$6
Basement. Braindead beginner fish live here, making for no fold'em poker. No bluffing is allowed. The rake or time charge will make the game somewhere between difficult and impossible to beat. Although you'll sometimes see a starving professional in $6-$12, there are no pros down here, unless you want to count retirees who play to supplement their social security checks.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:32 AM
Keres Keres is offline
Junior Member

later in the thread

Abdul JalibFeb 22 2000, 4:00

robe. . . @fast. net (Bob Dainauski) writes:
> I'm wondering if it's possible, and if you would, give illustrations
> for each level. For example, at the 60-120 level you descibe a
> typical reverse tell. If you would/could I'd love to hear a concrete
> difference between each of the layers. What does a 300-600 player do
> better than a 100-200, etc.

$300-$600
Players here have an angle that allows them to rise above the rest. Some have a deep understanding of game theory, some have many decades of experience, and some (I'm sorry) cheat.

$100-$200
Maniacs are largely replaced by very tough players. Intuitive exploitive play gets replaced by defensive game-theoretic play, even if the players don't realize that's how they're playing.

$60-$120
Reverse tells, many seemingly successful maniacs, 3-betting 3-way with middle pair and overcard becomes sometimes correct, 3 or 4 bet semi-bluffs occur, bluff raises on river are the rule, play by feel and play by tells, no play by book. Good players still go on tilt at this limit, and that's how other good players make most of their money.

$30-$60
Semi-bluff-raise-on-the-turn city. Players get into stare-downs when the flop comes down (trying to get tells), until the first player gives up and looks at the board.

$20-$40
Rammin-jammin value betting/raising with big draws. They make some good laydowns when faced with calling two cold in a big multiway pot. It is a rule here that AA must always be turned face up when it is mucked prior to the showdown. If AA loses in a showdown, then a 60 second wake ceremony is required before then showing the hand and then tossing it into the muck, ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

$15-$30
Players are good at hand selection, but weak at semi-bluffing, first level where you'll see many bluff raises on the river. Many players here play by the book. They love to make "good" laydowns.

$10-$20
Good players here are rocks and rarely semi-bluff or bluff. They *live* to make "good" laydowns.

$6-$12
Good players here ram-n-jam with big draws, but lack common sense. They are not able to determine when they might be drawing dead. They hold onto AA until the bitter end.

$3-$6
Players here tend to call if there is any chance in hell that they can make the runner-runner nut straight or two pair.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:44 AM
obi---one obi---one is offline
Junior Member

This is good
Old 07-24-2005, 04:59 AM
ike ike is offline
Senior Member

This sounds like a load of crap.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:03 AM
DcifrThs DcifrThs is offline
Senior Member

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like a load of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was written for the times he wrote. before the crap we see online today.

abdul jalib (jahlib? sb?) was and is the greatest loss to this forum.

-Barron
Old 07-24-2005, 05:08 AM
ike ike is offline
Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't realize it had a historical setting. DOesn't apply to anything I've ever witnessed.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:42 AM
mike l. mike l. is offline
Senior Member

Location: oceanside, california

wow the game sure has changed a ton since then.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 AM
oreogod oreogod is offline
Senior Member

Location: Irregular, Regular

This sounds like a load of crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was written for the times he wrote. before the crap we see online today.

abdul jalib (jahlib? sb?) was and is the greatest loss to this forum.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did he go anyway? Ive only read his articles, I dont know anyhting about the man himself other than he was pretty knowledgeable and wrote some great stuff for the game.