Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Bad Plays or just Running Real Bad

I normally play higher stakes but I'm rebuilding my bank roll so I started playing 3/6. After about 350 hands I only won about 9% of those and won on the showdown about 68%. These stats were taken from Party. Seems like whenever I have a good hand someone else hits a bigger hand. I was only seeing the flop about 18%, I was playing real tight just to make sure I wasn't making any mistakes.

Overall, I didn't win any big pots. All the pots that were close to $100 were all lost either on the river, runner-runner, or a two pair. I limp with A4s MP3, raised by button, several callers and it went to flop. Flop was A44r to hit my full house. Button had AA for a higher full house. I remember a hand where I had this guy totally dominated. I think he had like 47s on the BB and I had AQo. He's a LAG. We both didn't flop, he bets and I raised and he reraises, I cap. On the turn I hit an A but he ends up hitting his flush and gutshot draw. Again he bets, I raise and he reraise. River was another club for his flush. Another one is where 2 A's will flop, I'll have trips with two flushes on board and another flush comes out on the turn beating my trips.

I notice that on higher stakes, you won't see idiots do such moves and win. All I was trying to do is win about $200 and I couldn't seem to do that. Any ideas what I shoulda done? Maybe switch to another table after so many hands and winning so little?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Bad Plays or just Running Real Bad

[ QUOTE ]
After about 350 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Do you see why?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After about 350 hands

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lol. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the answer is *no*. Do you see why?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I normally play higher stakes but I'm rebuilding my bank roll so I started playing 3/6. ... I was only seeing the flop about 18%, I was playing real tight just to make sure I wasn't making any mistakes. ... I notice that on higher stakes, you won't see idiots do such moves and win. All I was trying to do is win about $200 and I couldn't seem to do that. ... Maybe switch to another table after so many hands and winning so little?

[/ QUOTE ]

With statements/questions like the above I would seriously urge you to move to lower limits than even 3/6 rather than try to build up some money and play higher stakes. Do some reading, play at lower limits for a lot more hands (like at least 10,000). Then, re-evaluate.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:28 AM

My first instinct says that you are a live one in a low limit game. You might want to loosen up just a little preflop. Try investing more money when you flop nut flush draws and the top end of open end straights. i know it sounds like common sense but thats where i win most of my money... patience the big pots will come. have you read holdem for advanced players... and small stakes holdem by ed miller? you should if you are going to paly 3-6 regularly...
Old 05-12-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I normally play higher stakes but I'm rebuilding my bank roll so I started playing 3/6. ... I was only seeing the flop about 18%, I was playing real tight just to make sure I wasn't making any mistakes. ... I notice that on higher stakes, you won't see idiots do such moves and win. All I was trying to do is win about $200 and I couldn't seem to do that. ... Maybe switch to another table after so many hands and winning so little?

[/ QUOTE ]

With statements/questions like the above I would seriously urge you to move to lower limits than even 3/6 rather than try to build up some money and play higher stakes. Do some reading, play at lower limits for a lot more hands (like at least 10,000). Then, re-evaluate.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT GREAT ADVICE!!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:01 AM

I have read those books. The problem isn't my starting hands, I believe I am playing fairly tight and aggressive. The problem is after preflop. I played 3/6 before without any huge problems but when your flopping hands that are second best and strong enough to call down with and someone raises you when you flop top pair with a big kicker, its a easy decision. Will anyone actually fold to a 3 flush board on the turn when you hold a AQ and you flop a Q, probably not.

I believe I am just running real bad which makes me tight passive. I remember flopping a straight on the river once but I didn't bet out because I was scared of the flush(3 on the board). I know I'm missing on value bets but the pot is unraised which makes it real small.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read those books. The problem isn't my starting hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

Without having to read any further in your response (although I did anyway), I'ld say you need to reread those books.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:04 AM

I usually play about 200 hands. When your running bad on Party no matter what you do you'll get beat. Just today I was beat on the river several times, I'll have a straight on the turn trapping both oppenents but I still lose to a higher straight. It makes no sense to keep playing when you can't win.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually play about 200 hands. When your running bad on Party no matter what you do you'll get beat. Just today I was beat on the river several times, I'll have a straight on the turn trapping both oppenents but I still lose to a higher straight. It makes no sense to keep playing when you can't win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based upon what you've said in this and other posts in this thread, I think it makes no sense for you to keep playing at 3/6. I would recommend that you drop down further in limits and reread SSHE.