Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: worst brain fart during a game?

One time I was playing 15-30 against a bunch of hyper-aggro maniacs. It was my first time playing 15-30 and I was playing a little scared. I raised with pocket queens and got two callers. The flop came A-9-5. Check, check, I bet, call, call. The turn brings another A. Check, check, check. The river is a brick, a ten or something, bet, call, call. The bettor announces aces up, and for some reason I forget about the aces on the board and mucked. The guy who called the bet says, I got the nine, and the other guys says good hand. So one of them had a 5, the other a 9, and my queens are going to the muck. But luckily, before they hit the muck, I announce that I had queens (still not realizing I won). The dealer flips the hand up and it's still good, because it never officially hit the muck. I am awarded the pot, but not my dignity as I feel like an ass.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM

Two of them:

Circa 1995 - I was not a poker player then but I was at Atlantic City at the Taj playing a little 6-12.

I call preflop with 6d5d in late position. There are 6 or 7 players in the hand.

Flop: 4d3h2s

A few of us are still in for the turn as I slowplayed the nuts when the loudmouth to my immediate right bet.

Turn: 7d

Loudie bets again. I raise. Everyone else folds. Loudmouth mockingly ask "that 7 helped you, huh" and then gets into a raising war with me. We go about 10 bets. He keeps ranting that I must be on a flush draw. He then finally says "do you want to just push it all in?"

I had about $250 in front of me and he had me covered.

Suddenly, I panic. I start thinking "[censored], what if he has Ad5d and thinks his straight is good but then goes on to hit the flush. Damn that would suck."

I decline the invitation to go all in and just call after about 10 bets (of course, it never even dawned on me that the guy couldn't have the 5d as I had it...lol)

The river is a diamond and loudmouth starts swearing at the dealer and checks. I bet and he calls. Turns out that he only had a bike with Ac5c. If the river wasn't a diamond, maybe I would have accepted an invitation to put it all in but then again, I may still have panicked and said no...lol

The second brain fart was just a couple of years ago when I put in 19 bets on the river until I was all-in after having misread the board. There were 4 hearts and the Ace of diamonds on board. I held red Kings. Somehow, my brain told me that there were 4 hearts including the ace of hearts on board. I looked at the board about 4 tiimes during the raising war trying to see if there was a straight flush possible that I somehow missed. Everyone at the table assumed that the other guy was out to lunch while all that raising was going on. Man, that was an embarassing and horrifying moment when the chips in the middle went to the other guy.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing 2-7 TD last night having a good time. I started jamming with what I thought was rough 76. I was so proud when I turned over 76543. I have barely played 5 hours of that game though so thats my excuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think at one point last night i accidentally discarded a 3 rather than a j playing triple draw. that's when i knew it was time for bed.

but hey at least i was drawing to a smooth j [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-03-2005, 07:30 PM

one more: playing 2/5 nl, multiway pot. i was drawing to a straight the whole way, didn't notice that i backdoored a flush, though i of course noticed i didn't make my straight. at showdown villain showed 2 pair and i mucked, realizing just as my cards hit the muck that i'd made a flush. i was PISSED at myself (and i didn't try to take the pot...my hand was mucked and i wasn't going to be "that guy" who swears up and down that he had the nuts but accidentally mucked them, and thus should get the pot). that was a nice $1,000-2,000 pot down the drain :P
Old 05-03-2005, 07:33 PM

I love that story. It's a scary story though.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 PM

bicyclekick witnessed this, and I think it's probably the worst one out of anybody on the site.

I am playing 300-600 and 100-200 and BK is sweating my action because the game is so good. BK is sweating both games and I've been telling him my hands, when I get dealt KQs in 3-6 and TT in 1-2. I raise both, and the flop comes an IDENTICAL 842 in both hands, when the disaster hits. I win the TT hand uncontested and as I am doing that I type TT to BK. For some reason this forged in my head and I see the turn come a T on the 300-600 table. I start to get incredibly excited and I check-three-bet the turn, which is capped. The river is a 3 and I bet out, my fishy aggro opponent calls with JJ and the table goes crazy. I'd say that's a pretty bad brain fart.
-James
Old 05-03-2005, 08:18 PM

Yeah, when james rolled his KQs I thought maybe the site mis-told him his cards. What's funny is his king and queen were still live when he check 3 bet the turn. This was after the flop was capped, too. And i quote james "I feel like i'm going to puke."
Old 05-03-2005, 08:38 PM

one time i mistakenly called in all-in bet preflop with a 2-4s. but lucky me i drew a straight flush. even though i won is was a complete accident that i called his bet. who knows, maybe it was the force influencing my game.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 PM

I folded a busted flush draw on the river in a big pot, not realizing the suited rags I played from the BB had made a nut straight.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Folded AA preflop (not timed out, folded).