Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 06:56 PM

Default PartyPoker - Player Characteristics

Can someone who has played on partypoker from limits 5/10 - 15/30(30/60 even) give me some advise on classifying my opponents. The problem is probably because I don't play thousands each week which is why I am not to confidents with my reads. I tend to second guess my reads on players which is why I need some help on this topic.

Can someone tell me how to spot a good postflop player and how to classify my opponent when you're not using PT as a tool. I know how to spot fishes who plays too many hands upfront but where do you put players who are willing to open-raise with QJs in one of the UTG seats. I'm just a little confused so any help would be good, I'll be taking notes on this by the way, Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker - Player Characteristics

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone tell me how to spot a good postflop player and how to classify my opponent when you're not using PT as a tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's your problem. Seriously, use pokertracker, there's no justification for not using it if you want to improve your game and get a read on your opponents. Especially at the limits you're talking about.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: PartyPoker - Player Characteristics

Should I be data mining then? I had player stats before but after my computer crashed I lost all the info. What do you consider a tight aggressive player and a loose aggressive player. All I know is that a loose aggressive player probably plays too many hands up front and his raising standard probably isn't all that great either. Another problem I am having is how to spot a good postflop player.

I also read several post about raising and forcing a hand like an overpair to fold when there is a scary board. They argue that you should do this against "thinking players" since they are capable of folding bigger hands against a player that doesn't know what he's up against. The problem I am having with this theory is that how would you know if he is capable of folding overpairs when he doesn't show you what he had.