Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you recommend for a clear, concise hold 'em book for beginners.
Sklansky's Hold 'Em Poker 14 21.21%
Jones's Winning Low-Limit Hold 'Em 49 74.24%
something else 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2003, 01:55 AM

Default Hold \'Em Poker or Winning Low Limit Hold \'Em?

My father has asked me to get him a hold 'em book for Christmas and I'm not sure which book I should get him. He wants some clearly written, basic instruction that will let him hold his own in low-limit games without requiring too much study. What do you guys recommend? The only hold 'em book I've read is HEPFAP, and I know that's not what he's looking for. I'm thinking either Sklansky's "Hold 'Em Poker," or Lee Jones's "Winning Low-Limit Hold 'Em" is the way to go.

Old 12-01-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Hold \'Em Poker or Winning Low Limit Hold \'Em?

IMHO, the Jones book is easier for a new player to read/comprehend.
Old 12-01-2003, 03:19 PM

I found Jones' book much easier to comprehend and put into immediate use. His post-flop strategy is much more detailed and definitely easier for the beginner. I recently re-read HEP and by golly there is a lot of useful info in that small volume, but for an absolute beginner, I'd suggest Jones first.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:05 PM

Winning Low Limit Holdem is a great book. It has sections on preflop and all situations on the flop. It has helped me recoup easily over 20x the cost of the book in the two months I have owned it.

And as a point of reference, I have now moved on to HEFAP.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:43 PM

I agree with this; however, it's important that a new player understand that this book is not the gospel. It has some disputable advise. I think it should be viewed as an intro to lo-limit hold'em.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:12 PM

I absolutely agree with this. Since moving on from WLLHE, I have modified my play with advice from HEP and HEPFAP. But, it was the WLLE foundation that allowed me to understand HEPFAP, which would have been incomprehensible without first understanding WLLE. While I don't now agree with all the advice in WLLHE, I still believe it is the best way for a beginner to get introduced to winning low limit hold 'em concepts and strategy.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:47 PM

I've just begun reading books on poker myself, and have read both of the above choices. I voted for WLLHE, though I thought both books were excellent. I personally preferred the writing style of Jones to that of Sklansky.

BTW, if your dad is new to the terminology of poker, WLLHE definitely has a superior glossary. I read HEP first and was unsure of a couple of things. HEFAP actually has a much better glossary than HEP.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:29 PM

I'm holding up the lone vote for "something else" (so far anyway). I like Lou Krieger for an absolute beginner, because I like his writing style. It's very friendly and non-intimidating. And I like his colored starting chart, I think a novice would like that ( I know I did way back when). Once you move past rank beginner though, then I think you go to Sklansky as quickly as possible when you want to actually learn how to play well. Although at that point I think I'd just skip right to HPFAP. Jones' book has too many contradictions in it for my taste (e.g. hands that you can play middle position but not late).
Old 12-06-2003, 02:04 AM

The question isn't what is easiest. If you can't understand Sklansky, I doubt you're going to be a winning poker player.

Sklansky gives a solid foundation for the game. It teaches the fundamentals necessary to eventually move up into more serious games.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:15 PM

Hi Ingo4:

I couldn't agree with your post more.

When I'm in the poker room I'm constantly being asked questions by relatively new poker players. Much of what I'm asked relates to what's in our books, and these questions are being asked by players who are clerly winning in the games (usually between $8-$16 and $15-$30).

In these conversations, no other books are ever mentioned, only our stuff. This says to me that while a book like Winning Low Limit Hold 'em may be helpful to someone starting out, if you're want to be successful at poker fairly quickly, you read and study the stuff that our company puts out.

Best wishes,
Mason