Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 09:14 AM

Default What turned the page for u?

If one where to outline the single most, or in as few words as possible event/breaktrough/insight that made u a better mtt player what would it be? Aka weaknesses/strenghts post related
Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: What turned the page for u?

1. Studying and practicing HOH vol 1&2.
2. Playing 1,000's of sng's to fine tune bubble play and survival mode.
3. Reading boards, understanding position and betting patterns from foe.
4. Spending to much time here.

I know, all pretty basic, but it turned me into a winning player. Not sure if that makes me good or just a little better than the average online player. The skills learned online have made me quite successful playing B&M.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:29 AM

It is hard to pin it on one thing, though I think that 2 things really helped spell it out for me. HOH 1&2, and the advice I have received from this site. I am by no means an expert at this point, but I can definitely see myself improving, and can consider myself a decent tournament player who can hold his own in a large field MTT. At the same time, I know that I am NOT a good cash table player, and will be the first to admit that.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:49 AM

I'm going to agree with the other two posts in the HOH 1&2 opened my eyes to a lot of stuff that I didn't even realize before. I'm still trying to get over the proverbial hump to win on a more consistent basis but I feel that I've got a solid base and can build from there. These boards have also been a great help.

Big
Old 09-06-2005, 10:25 AM

1) Learning to control the pot size (mostly so I can afford to bluff on later streets)

2) Re-stealing (stealling from a PF raiser)

3) Patience when short stacked.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 09-06-2005, 10:31 AM

HOH 1 & 2 for sure.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If one where to outline the single most, or in as few words as possible event/breaktrough/insight that made u a better mtt player what would it be? Aka weaknesses/strenghts post related

[/ QUOTE ]

The same ONE thing that makes someone a master shipbuilder.

Oh wait. To be a master shipbuilder one must excel a multitude of separate and disparate skills.

I'm sorry, but your question is clearly the wrong question.

There are no quickie fixes to make you good, and your attempting to find one is, well, doomed to failure.

-Scott
Old 09-06-2005, 11:01 AM

its like a series of epiphanies. My next one has been a long time overdue.

For me it wasnt specific posts, i can go back and read posts before that are brilliant but didnt understand why at the time.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:25 PM

I didnt thnk anyone would read my post as a quick fix seeker. I am interested in the variouss opinions one would have about what brought ones own game up a notch. I am as most on this forum, though the content I post may vary, fully aware that reaching out for knowledge takes time and effort. However what u feel was important for your deeper undersstanding might not be the same as the next one,but both of u might shed some light or get me going the right way. So Baldrick off and rant elsewhere. Best regards Edmund

For instance one reply could have been like this:

in this tourney a new player was seated next to me with M 30-I held only M 12, the blinds where about to rise. I had seen this player bully his left guy on other occasions which made me sure that I would push instantly if opportunity arise-working up the balls to trust my read has helped me act more confident and also realize that sometimes it will send u down inflames, but I cope better with that now cause I made a stand- maybe silly but someone could help from it, see?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:31 PM

1.) Controlling pot odds I give myself
2.) Playing (or trying) to play 75% of my hands from good position
3.) Not letting myself get too shortstacked (ie knowing when to push).. Harrington helped me out on this
4.) Playing Aggressive on short tables and around the bubble