Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Article: If poker is sport, it\'s time to fold

I don't know who gets to define what a "sport" is, or why anyone would be bothered that this meaningless identification is given to one game or another.

If there's a demand for the content, who cares whether it goes on the Sports page or some other page (Where the hell do they even bury the Chess info?)
Old 07-19-2005, 01:59 AM

sport (spôrt, sprt)
n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
1. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.
2. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.
3. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.
1. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.
2. Informal. One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.
3. Informal. A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.
6. Informal.
1. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.
2. A gambler at sporting events.
7. Biology. An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.
8. Maine. See summercater. See Regional Note at summercater.
9. Obsolete. Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

<font color="green"> I am not saying that I think poker is a sport but I do think there could be two classifications of sport.

One where there is physical exertion involved. Another would be something that is a pastime or game that people compete in. You cant just call it a hobby, people dont compete in building model trains (or do they?).

Poker, Chess, Darts, Bowling, Spelling Bees, Billiards; a new category of sport. This way people who were in football in high school dont get pissed when someone calls poker a sport.

Just a thought. </font>
Old 07-19-2005, 10:33 AM

poker is not a sport. neither is cheerleading, figure skating, gymnastics, or skateboarding. but all these r on tv and i have no problem with that. for me a sport is a competition, that requires physical skill, and is not decide based on someone's opinion of how they performed.

if there was a place to put poker and other non-sports that fit, that would be fine. but for now the best place is the sports page.

as for having poker being sold thru the media, yes it has it's dangers but a lot of ppl still think its only played in smoking backrooms. if i am not mistaken, there was a rule that got u kicked out of the wsop if u smoked at the table.