Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 05:51 AM

Default Re: How do I tell my parents I\'m not happy...

It sounds like you are considering some fairly significant changes and have been bothered by whatever it is that the voices have been telling you for some time. It is common for undergrads to go through a lot of growing pains as they establish their own identity, and it can be comforting to know that you are not alone in this and that there are folks that can help you.

I am a USC grad, and can tell you first hand that the counseling center does an excellent job of helping students deal with their issues. They are located in the old YWCA building SW across the parking lot from the bookstore. What you discuss with them is totally confidential and private.

I went through some pretty radical changes while at SC, and can identify with having difficulty figuring out who to talk to that can understand and be trusted. In some cases, people that I didn't think would be positive came around to give way more support than I expected and others were somewhat of a disappointment.

The great thing about the counselors is that they are professional about being totally supportive and non-judgemental. You can be sure that they will not make fun of your situation and are there to help you feel better and make positive progress towards what will make you happy.

If you are concerned that your parents might freak out at what you are going to tell them, it wouldn't hurt to bounce it off of someone like a trained councelor that you know won't react negatively. It might help you think through how you are going to present things to your folks.

There are some things that you said that sound very similar to what I went through; it could be that I'm just projecting or just that so many types of personal change sound the same. In any case; feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it or think that I can point you to some resources. I wound up working with some community groups and peer support groups in areas that I was struggling with, so I know some additional places on and off campus to get help here around LA.

Hope that this helps, and remember:

Fight On! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Shauna
Old 11-23-2005, 06:25 AM

I think those feelings are way more common than you know. But that doesn't mean they're easy or fun to handle.

Talking to a mental health counselor is probably a good idea. Taking charge of your problems in this way is much better than just drifting along and hoping one day they'll somehow clear up. Your post here looks like a step in that direction.

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel on health and happiness all by yourself, let a mental health professional contribute their expertise and help carry some of that weight. Not all of them will be the right one for you, but you should be able to find a match even if the first one doesn't seem to click with you.

Your honesty in acknowledging the things that are bothering you is itself a very important step in working toward making them better, and will be a big help to your counselor, too. Keep on taking the initiative.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:43 AM

Graduating college, for me, feels a lot like graduating high school. Terrible. You can do what i do to relieve the stress of your unfinished senior project: learn to smoke cigarettes, drink excessively and at every opportunity, golf, and listen to good music. I still haven't finished my senior project though(statisticks) so what do i know. But i doubt your parents can help you, just got to rely on your deadbeat friedns and your likeminded acquaintences.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i really don't want to DO anything with my life is the problem, nothing really gets me that excited that would be a possible career

[/ QUOTE ]

To the opening two posters: Think about it now, or else in 10 years from now, you can be stuck in some boring job. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i really don't want to DO anything with my life is the problem, nothing really gets me that excited that would be a possible career

[/ QUOTE ]

To the opening two posters: Think about it now, or else in 10 years from now, you can be stuck in some boring job. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about it now won't prevent that possibility. It probably won't even decrease it that much.

to the OP, I imagine almost everyone goes through something like that sometime between the ages of 156 and 25. Your parents aren't going to be able to do a thing about it. Talk to a counselor at school to help get through the daily grind and other than that, make a promise to yourself to do something different. It doesn't really matter what, just once a month or so do something you haven't done before.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:33 PM

I agree with the advice to go see a school counselor. When I was 21 and felt very much like you describe, I wish someone had led me by the hand to a counselor . Instead, it took 6 very long years for me to go myself.
Don't be embarrassed, or put it off. Just walk in. That's what they are there for, and they want to help you.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:05 PM

It's impossible to know what the best advice is to give without knowing you, but if I were a gambling man, I would bet that the best advice is to try and relax, try and be as optimistic as you can muster and to understand that nearly everyone goes through something like this at your age or close and it improves over time.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:36 PM

Matt Leinart?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt Leinart?

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahhhaahhaahhah
Old 12-02-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt Leinart?

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl