Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Multi-tabling and better play

First off, I'm a huge newb, with about 30,000 hands at various levels, .25/.50 and .5/1 FR and .5/1 6max. I have played 2 tables of FR at a time and while playing 6 max I normally stick to 1 table, I feel like I need to learn and want to devote my attention to the table.

I recently started playing 4 tables of .5/1 FR and I feel like I do <u>much</u> better overall. I play the hands from a more objectional point of view and do not get emotionally wrapped up in the hand like I do once in a while, or I don't try and force players that are 65/3.0/0.2 to fold, and that is something I've caught myself doing many times.

Also, playing 4 tables forces me to really focus on the tables, there is no time to watch TV or surf the internet.(at least not yet haha)

I do fire up a play list of music, nothing too hard or distracting.

I feel like I play better overall with 4 tables, does anyone else notice this?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Multi-tabling and better play

IMO, playing one table is ideal when it comes to outplaying opponents (it is hard to outplay someone by just knowing their stats only), but multitabling gets me more money
Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 AM

well I agree and my reads definitely aren't the same, i have far less notes than while playing 4 tables. Especially while playing 1 table of 6 max, I make lots of notes.

I just feel better with 4 tables, more focused, much more calm and if my aces get beat on the river by a 2 outer I just move on to the next hand alot easier. I don't think I tilt normally, but I definitely don't dwell on the beat because I'm in another hand within 30 seconds or so. I also don't get frustrated when my AK didn't hit and then worry about it the next time I have AK.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:03 PM

I've noticed this as well.

If I only play one table, I tend to get sick of folding and start making excuses for playing marginal hands.

If I have multiple tables open, I fold those sub-par hands without a second thought.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:40 PM

exactly
Old 12-05-2005, 05:07 PM

Playing a single table definetly allows you to focus more on reads and such but to me it also gets extremely boring. After about the first half hour or so I find myself playing far more hands than I should be and going on tilt much easier when I miss flops or my continuations bets get raised etc.. Right now I'm playing two tables at a time of 6-max and I really enjoy it. If I were playing full ring I'd probably open up 3 tables. I find I can still get decent reads on the players style of play and at the same time I don't get bored as easily.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:14 PM

I chat on msn while 10 tabling.

Not saying that it's a good idea though!