Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Were you once lazy?

[ QUOTE ]

A couple of points. Firstly, no matter how intelligent you are, it's impossible to get a perfect score on the SAT without a working knowledge of maths. A working knowledge of math requires study, doing assignments, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here I disagree, I'm no math savant, but I got a nearly perfect score on the SAT math section. And, I didn't put much effort into math at all. I did do the assignments (often during the class), but studying math was out of the question. If this guy is really that brilliant, just listening to the teacher in class and taking the tests could very well be enough.

I can understand the laziness problem. I graduated magna cum laude from a good college and once went a month without doing a lick of homework. For me, the trick is working hard when it counts. As one other poster said, I can have periods of being one of the hardest workers you know, and then I can sit on my butt for a long time. So, in high school I took tests to get almost half of the credits needed to graduate from college, which allowed me a lot of free time in college. However, I also did internships that required 60-80 hours a week when I needed to.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Were you once lazy?

[ QUOTE ]
Here I disagree, I'm no math savant, but I got a nearly perfect score on the SAT math section. And, I didn't put much effort into math at all. I did do the assignments (often during the class), but studying math was out of the question. If this guy is really that brilliant, just listening to the teacher in class and taking the tests could very well be enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. In high school, I would complete enough of the homework until I fully understood the concepts and was ready to be tested. I often completed 1 or 2 of the assigned problems.

The teacher and I would always argue. I said I didn't need more repitition since I understood the concpets, and she said I did, and then I'd set the curve.

To OP, man I am in the same boat as you, but really we just need to get off our lazy asses. I 'work' like 20 hours a week when I should be accumulating as much of this free poker craze money as I can before the poker craze subsides.

Also, you may be using your intelligence as an excuse to be lazy. I used to think somewhere along the lines of, 'I'm smarter than them, I don't have to do that.'

But in the real world, success is a function of hard work. The guy with 2/3 of your IQ and twice your work ethic will have more success. IQ is a nice starting point, but really it comes down to how hard you work.

I agree with the other poster who said wicked smart peeps don't ever learn a proper work ethic. School, etc, was so easy, that you never learned a proper work ethic. At least I didn't

and at 29, it's up for me to teach myself one, and I think it's up to you to teach yourself one. If you can get off the couch that is.....

Hope this doesn't sound too harsh, I'm preaching at myself as much as you....laters