Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Raising AK on Button, rags, now what?

Much more experienced in the MTT forum.

2-4 Party, most stacks between 60-80, I have 120 and won 3 out of last 8 with reasonably good hands (no sets, flushes but nothing worse than TPTK).

I raise on the button with AKo. 3 callers, flop comes 59Jr.

2 questions:

1. If checked to me, standard continuation bet is appropriate, yes or no? If no, explain.

2. If raised, do I fold/call/raise? Assume read is not psycho (call) or insanely tight (fold).

Comments appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Raising AK on Button, rags, now what?

[ QUOTE ]
I raise on the button with AKo. 3 callers, flop comes 59Jr.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are your three callers the blinds and one limper? Or are they two limpers and the big blind? Or some other set of opponents?

You should bet if its checked to you most of the time in this case.

If youre called, consider takeing a free card on the turn. I might tend to to this in this situation since a caller likely doesnt have a draw with this board. If the board were something like 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], its a litte more reasonable for someone with no pair (and only a draw) to call me. If I think my opponent(s) might have a draw, Ill tend to bet the turn if checked to.

If you get checkraised you should call. The action on the turn will be dependant on how many opponents you have and if you turn a pair or straight draw.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:25 AM

What do stack sizes have to do with anything? The decision between betting and checking is contingent on more information about the hand, but this is usually a bet. You're already getting at least 8 to 1 to take it down uncontested. Combined with the chance for a free river card and the chance to improve, seems like it's usually right to bet. You don't want to give 3 people with up to 6 unpaired cards a total of 18 outs to beat you.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:56 AM

Stack sizes arent so important in limit cash game hands... unless someone only has a couple bets and is about to go all in.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:18 AM

Continuation bet and go from there. If called, I usually bet the turn too.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:15 AM

Most players will tell you to bet, but with the J9 flop and 3 callers in a low limit game, you're probably better off checking. There are several keys to this hand:

1) you are unlikely to win the pot with a flop bet.
2) you probably do not have the best hand, since...
3) most players check to the raiser, expecting him to bet

don't bet someone else's hand. You're in a multiway pot, have only overcards on a flop that connects with lots of hands, and have been offered a free card. Take it.

good luck.
eric
Old 11-10-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with the J9 flop and 3 callers in a low limit game, you're probably better off checking. There are several keys to this hand:

1) you are unlikely to win the pot with a flop bet.
2) you probably do not have the best hand, since... most players check to the raiser, expecting him to bet

don't bet someone else's hand. You're in a multiway pot, have only overcards on a flop that connects with lots of hands, and have been offered a free card. Take it.

[/ QUOTE ]
J9 hits a lot of hands people play. Even if no one has a pair, someone will often have a gutshot or OESD. If an 8, T or Q comes on the turn, reevaluate. You may want to bail unless you pick up a gutshot and can continue for one bet.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:46 PM

I bet this. Limpers are just that, limpers. They can come in with anything, small pair, Ax, Kx, suited connectors. Why would you be scared of J9? By betting you:

1. May get everyone to fold.
2. May get players holding a small pocket pair to fold.
3. You show aggression and will most likely have it checked around to you on the turn. If the turn misses you, you have the option to take a free card or if it hits you, bet again.
4. If the turn misses you and someone bets, there's a good chance you're beat so you fold.

By not betting I can almost guarentee that one of those three limpers will bet the turn and take down the pot. Most likely everyone will fold to him and you'll have no idea what he held.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:05 PM

I have just started taking free cards when I'm in late posisition, limit, my raise looks like a possible steal / rid the blinds from the pot.

No shame in taking the free card... anyone with a pair is going to call you anyways... and against a made pair you're no longer a favorite.

don't forget... one of the reasons to raise in late posistion is to gain control of the button and take a free card when appropriate.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Continuation bet and go from there. If called, I usually bet the turn too.

[/ QUOTE ]