Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Default 5/10 nl game problem putting button on a hand

I have the sb with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] cutoff raises to 30$ button calls and I rerais to 100$ BB fold ,cutoff fold and button calls??

The flopp is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 240$ in the pot

I bet to 200$ button calls

turn 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] what do you do? and what are you putting button on now?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: 5/10 nl game problem putting button on a hand

Well, I would certainly be afraid of KK here.

You have the Ah so a flush draw is less likely but he could have KhQh if he's loose enough to call $100 reraise with it.

How deep are each of you?

EDIT -
**** nevermind I just reread the post and realized that button cold-called the CO's raise making it less likely (but still possible) he has KK. ****

I would need reads here - is button tricky enough to smoothcall a pf raise with KK?

I think KhXh or AK are more likely.

If he's weak-tight he could have a baby set and be afraid of KK himself.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:33 PM

I have 1355$ when the hand started and he have me coverd and have just over 2K
Old 04-01-2005, 06:16 PM

I'm bumping this hoping that someone else will chime in with an opinion.

It's hard for me to say what I would do here because a lot of it would have to do with my read on the button.

He called a $30 LP raise - which doesn't tell you much. But then he called a $100 reraise - which might tell you something depending on his read of you.

Against an uber-rock, I'd consider check-folding this hand. Against a tricky/LAG, I'd have to consider the strong possibilty that he called the flop bet with the intention of taking the pot from me on the turn if he thought I might be holding QQ.

I guess the one thing I can add is that before you made the flop bet you should be considering what you would do in the event you got called/raised.

If you don't want to play a huge pot with this hand I'd consider mayber leading for less on the flop ($150-$175).

This will let you bet $250-$275 or so comfortably on the turn and makes folding to a raise (if that's what you decide to do) less painful.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:30 AM

Ok I put him on AK or an KQ suit or any other random pair like QQ JJ 1010 but when he called my bet on flop I could only hade him on AK or KQsuit
Old 04-02-2005, 01:59 PM

I scrolled down and saw the stack sizes but please remember to include them and any relevant reads or info in your posts.

The villain could have anything. He could have AK/AA/KK/QQ, KQ (less likely)/JJ (less likely) or many other hands if he is loose or if you are tight and he thinks he can take the pot away from you with position.

If you have been tight or have show a propensity for being able to lay down big hands and if the villain is a player then his range of hands is huge. Your hand is pretty well defined here and he might use the fact that he knows that you know that he knows what you have in order to play you off of your hand.

Against a 'non-player' (ie multitabler, rock, or unimaginative player) I think you are behind KK often, against an idiot (self explanitory) you will see AK a lot more often, and against a 'player' you could be against anything.

Without reads it is hard to determine what you should do on the flop. I have a problem with just giving up on AA because you got called on teh flop when your hand was definied but I also have a problem with losing my stack with unimproved aces. I look forward to other responses.

Both of the hands that you have posted this weekend have been thought provoking, keep up the good posts.

-Steve
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM

Sunglasses-

As others have mentioned, there are lots of different ways to play this one, and you should pick one that is appropriate for this particular opponent. Sometimes you are trying to trap a bluffer, sometimes you are trying to get a calling station to pay you with his top pair.

One thing that has not been mentioned- I might make a slightly bigger raise preflop. A full pot bet, for example, would be $130. Make them pay to have position on you for the rest of the hand. If you raise less, they have better implied odds and can call with a greater range of hands (which makes the later streets tougher).

Also, on the flop, betting close to pot is certainly not mandatory. Checking and betting less are also possible. The most important thing is to have a plan of attack that is consistent with the opponent.

A couple examples:

1. If he is a maniac, maybe you bet the flop, hoping he calls (or raises). Then you check the turn to show weakness, planning to call down for the rest of your stack.

2. If he is tricky, maybe you check the flop to keep the pot smaller. The hand could go a variety of ways from here, but maybe you want to let him make tke first move and get a little closer to the showdown.

This is all pretty vague, but you want to be thinking about the whole situation, not just "shoot, he called my flop bet, now what?"

-muz