Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM

Default is it just me or does the small stack on stars always BUST OUT

no matter what happens on stars if you are the small stack in a tourney you will be tossed about 80% of the time. i've seen it many many times as i am sure most of you have. its almost undeniable that you are dead in a coinflip shortstacked. forget coinflip how about 80/20, they'll hit a set almost every time.

when playing big MTT i like to watch the chip leaders tables and a couple others. or when it comes down to the last 8 i pull up every table since i have 2 19 inch monitors. every time short stack is all in it always comes.

eh, not saying "online is rigged" but from playing billions of tourneys on stars this seems to be the norm

flame on
Old 09-28-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: is it just me or does the small stack on stars always BUST OUT

it's funny because I've heard the opposite complaint way more

'I'm not saying online is rigged'
yes you are, at least stand by your convictions
Old 09-28-2005, 11:41 AM

ur right, online is rigged
Old 09-28-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

eh, not saying "online is rigged" but from playing billions of tourneys on stars this seems to be the norm

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, man. So, it's not rigged, but the odds are just different? You obviously look down on people who say online poker's rigged because you know it's incredibly stupid to make an assertion like that with a tiny sample size and selective human memory, so you try and get the best of both worlds by claiming it's rigged and saying you're not.

Please don't post crap like this again.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no matter what happens on stars if you are the small stack in a tourney you will be tossed about 80% of the time. i've seen it many many times as i am sure most of you have. its almost undeniable that you are dead in a coinflip shortstacked. forget coinflip how about 80/20, they'll hit a set almost every time.

when playing big MTT i like to watch the chip leaders tables and a couple others. or when it comes down to the last 8 i pull up every table since i have 2 19 inch monitors. every time short stack is all in it always comes.

flame on

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, short stacks generally have the disadvantage against the big stacks at final tables.

Do you see why?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 AM

it's just you.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Your chances of winning a tournmanent are directly related to your chip stack size. If you hold 40% of the chips in the tournament, your chances of winning are 40%. If you hold .001% of the chips out there, those are your chances of winning. Sure you may beat the odds, but when they're stacked against you so strongly you're almost sure to lose. This is outlined very clearly in David Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players.

Do you understand how these 2 variables are directly related?
Old 09-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Maybe because shortstacks have to take more risks?
Just saying.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 PM

It seems like as small stack your days are numbered. There are exceptions. Last night I had gotten down to around $120 in an early round and was able to scratch my way back to around $11000. That has been the exception.

When you are small stacked (I am often) your options are limited and it is a race between raising with the best hand and the rising blind structure. Very tricky to navigate.

I have often seen the small stack go all in and double up, maybe because they waited for a monster hand.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

flame on

[/ QUOTE ]

*Sigh*

The other day, I was in a live tourney, and I my friend and I both were at the same table. We both had less than average, and both got all-in versus the chip leader.

His A-K killed my J-J and my friends A-Q.

We both went home.

Do you see why?

Brad