Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Questions from a PP Player recently trying PS as well

I am pretty consistent player when playing at PP, having an ROI above 30% in both the $10 and $20 SNG's, as well as having around a 35% ITM for the MTT tourneys I play (I don't keep track with a spreadsheet, so that is a guesstimate, I have made around $1000 from the MTT's).

I have recently started playing at PS for many reasons, to play in the 2+2 tourneys and sharpen my game against good players, to try out the new ante structure, just check out how it compares, etc.

I have struggled quite a bit, with only one ITM finish and that was a 3rd in a $5 SNG. I have been mainly playing the $1,$2,$3 MTT's and then $5 and $10 SNG's. I have a small sample of only around 15-20 games, so I realize perhaps this could just be a downswing, but I seem to struggle much more at PS.

I have been beaten almost exclusively when I had a very signifigant advantage pre-flop, usually 4 to 1, but I am wondering if perhaps I am also not adjusting correctly. It seems on PP when I have bad suck outs, it usually does not cripple me or cause me to be OTM as much. I am not sure if I am being too aggressive pre-flop given the different structure or given the increased stack sizes or perhaps another leak. I am usually very tight early in games and perhaps I should loosen up some given the increased sizes?

I would very much welcome any critiques/suggestions from others who have made the switch or might comment on differences given the structure. Again, I realize 15-20 games could very easily be a downswing but I feel like perhaps I am not playing optimally as well.

Will
Old 11-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Questions from a PP Player recently trying PS as well

I think you would need to provide some hand histories from pivotal hands. People could then comment on your play. Show some where there were close decisions (getting money in with KK and AA preflop and losing isn't indicative of anything), so they are not just bad beat stories.

Although others may comment on the stars structure vs. PP (I don't play PS), someone once said 'general advice is generally bad'.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:30 PM

I could only get the last 100 hands from PS without knowing the Tournement # or Hand # (unless someone would tell me how) but I did find an example that is ok but not great. I think my play is correct, and after I saw what the person had I definitely thought so. Perhaps given stack sizes, blinds, and the fact that I was on the bubble means I should have folded though. I got AQ the next hand again and went in to lose for 81st. I wish I could find better examples but here it is ...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t17470)
Button (t11398)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t10077)</font>
BB (t12550)
<font color="C00000">UTG (t9218)</font>
UTG+1 (t14271)
MP1 (t3594)
MP2 (t15570)
MP3 (t17302)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t800, UTG+1 calls t800, MP1 calls t800, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t4000) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t8368 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t9227</font>, BB folds.

Turn: (t21595) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t21595) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t21595

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Qd Ad (one pair, aces).
UTG has As Ts (flush, ace high).
Outcome: UTG wins t20736. Hero wins t859. </font>

Will
Old 11-21-2004, 08:38 PM

This is just something that happened to me, and prob just a random, but when I started I played MTT on paradise, and when I started playing stars I couldnt make anything happen for a while.....

Was prob just my run of cards but I was thinking the same thing.

My advice would be to stick with it a bit longer, I really dont think that they are all that much diff. Stars may ahve a few more talented players but still huge numbers of fish.

Edit- If u email them you can request every hand history that they have from you.