Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Annie Duke and Paul Phillips

[ QUOTE ]
If imparting poker knowledge with an overhealthy dose of ego qualifies one for the 2+2 death penalty, I wonder who is going to break the news to Sklansky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or El Diablo, astroglide, Joe Tall...

Paul's tone fits right in with a lot of established posters. (and mind you, I think that's a good thing. A sense of humor is fun) As does his apparent intelligence and ability.

More Paul, less people who can't take a joke.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love it how the 2+2 masses did everything they could to force out Annie Duke, who did nothing but come here with a positive, respectful attitude and now they are sucking off Paul Phillips, whose superb strategy posts would be worth giving up if he would just die already.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that I saw a lot of difference between posters' treatment of Annie and Paul. Most people here were welcomed both for what they could contribute. A small minority, as in any group of people, felt it necessary to build up their own fragile egos by tearing down their betters, and to get their cheap thrills by repeating inane, irrelevant gossip.

Annie appeared to come here to provide information. Paul went a step further and engaged in some give and take on appropriate non-strategy forums. I found his verbal sparring to have some wit and intelligence. Many here found it to be egotistic and condescending. To those, I say, get a sense of humor. To those whose mission in life seems to be to tear down anyone who rises above their own mediocre level, I say get a life.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:27 PM

Seems a lot of people here are jealous of Paul. Who doesn't want to be young, good looking, rich, and have the ability to spell words longer than six letters in length correctly?

However, I am three out of four of those things. I also have friends who are four out of four of those things, so I don't feel threatened by his presense. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2004, 05:35 PM

I've got the poll all lined up...I'll post it now.

RB
Old 10-03-2004, 07:08 PM

Hey Paul:

If I were you I would look to the old Chinese saying "Dogs may bark but heaven could care less!"

Why waste time by responding to incendiary posts like the one that started this thread? I suggest you take the high road and don't waste time with these rat droppings you come across every now and then. For one I find your posts insightful and entertaining and if you have happened to flaunt your ego in them (which I personally could not detect) I say "You well deserve it!" There was one more moron not long back who made a personal attack on Greg Reymer and even made insulting reference to his wife! Greg got all riled up over that post when he should have just laughed it off and continued on his way.

This is a free country; this is an open forum; and as you would expect you find the best of the best and worst of the worst.

That's all.

Neal
Old 10-03-2004, 07:12 PM

FWIW, Annie posted a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't see any indication that she was quitting the forum.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:26 PM

granted i'm nobody, but i'd like to see both stay. Although it is confusing when Paul lapses straight into algabreic mumbo jumbo.

Paul,
One hand i saw you play on tv i think you said something to the effect that the pot was laying you way too many odds and you had an enormous amount of outs. I wish i could remember, i'd love to hear they laymans version of that, supported by the math.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:33 PM

Before you solicit a response to your question it would help if you clarify which pot you are talking about?

The one your smoke or the one Paul talks about when he is posting poker talk?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why waste time by responding to incendiary posts like the one that started this thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your premises. If it amuses me to reply then it's only time wasted by your measure, not by mine.

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you take the high road

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of roads. I think life would be a lot less interesting if everyone walked the road I think you're implying (the road where I'm much more selective about what I answer.) As well, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of lower roads than this one. My responses are civilized, anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
For one I find your posts insightful and entertaining and if you have happened to flaunt your ego in them (which I personally could not detect)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That's part of the fascination of all this. Two reasonably intelligent people read a few of my posts: one develops a seething contempt while the other is only entertained. One pulls out his thesaurus so he can list all the synonyms for "egomaniac" in his vituperative response, and the other says he couldn't even detect it. Why do people tick so differently? I don't know either but if you can figure it out you'll probably do well at poker.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:08 AM

First, I do not usually posts about things where I feel it is really just people trying to rag on a certain guy but I was intrigued by Paul's response.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people tick so differently? I don't know either but if you can figure it out you'll probably do well at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
This, IMHO, is an incredibly insightful comment and I couldn't agree more. I am also intrigued by the fact that many younger poker players also seem to be computer programmers (myself included). The mindset of a programmer I think really does lend itself to poker as well (and I know there have been other posts stating this with much more reasoning behing it).

Anyway, I have always found your posts very interesting, intriguing, and challenging. Sometimes you really make me wonder what odds what be in certain situations and how I would go about calculating that. Maybe partly that shows my statistical weakness (I have always loved math but have never considered myself a stats wiz) but I think many of the challenges/questions you pose would indeed be challenging for most.

I for one think the more posts from people who are professional poker players can only help and should be welcomed. And I think it would stupid for anyone to argue that Annie, Paul, Barry, Greg, etc. are not professionals.

Will