Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Default AK overplayed??

$100NL6max.

No real reads at this point, haven't been sitting to long. Utg is loosish and has broad open raise and call range. De Villain is sitting on a big stack and seems to be pretty decent, although he swings a bit which might seem like he pushes marginal edges.

Villain ($252) calls UTG, loos-ish guy ($108) bets $5, I ($78) call from the BB with AKo; villain calls as well. 3 to the flop.

Flop5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](<font color="blue">pot $16.50</font>)

I check, Villain bets 8, fold, I call 8

Turn 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](<font color="blue">pot $32.50</font>)

I check, he bets $25, I push all-in....

Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:54 AM

Default Re: AK overplayed??

he has a set. he bet 25 to protect his hand.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What led you to this conclusion?

I feel like this line only screams set when someone posts a heads-up hand called "AK overplayed?" Go back and read the hand, and think about how you would feel if you were playing it; either his hand range is much wider than {set}, or this player is an extreme nut-peddler to whom you should fold every 10 orbits when he bets.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What led you to this conclusion?

I feel like this line only screams set when someone posts a heads-up hand called "AK overplayed?" Go back and read the hand, and think about how you would feel if you were playing it; either his hand range is much wider than {set}, or this player is an extreme nut-peddler to whom you should fold every 10 orbits when he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If I'm playing this hand, I have no real reason to believe Villain has a set. Having said that, I see no reason to push all-in here either. Only a complete donk will call you here with K-Q. Since you just called the flop, I just call the turn. TPTK is not the kind of hand I want to throw a lot of money into. If he's got K-Q or K-J, let him bet away. But raising the turn is just bloating the pot to such an extent that you might not be able to get away from it. that's why I would have raised the flop (it would have cost less). Then I'd check behind the turn and call a reasonable river bet (and value bet 1/2 the pot if he checked the river). I don't like to play for all my money with just TPTK, so yes I think you overplayed your hand.

Edit: I just realized you're OOP which makes me hate the flop check even more. Either way, I see no reason to raise the turn.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 AM

He bet $25 (not chump change here) when he saw the second diamond. Or maybe he made set with the turn card. Either way, I think the the good sized bet of $25 is a set. I can't imagine villain would bet that much to protect anything else.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 AM

The thing that went through my mind at that exact point was that on both the flop and turn he took a very agressive line on a board that did not leave a lot of possibilities for your opp's hands, against people who had not yet shown a lot of strength.

I think that he took my flop check call as a sign of strength and that this motivated his turn bet. Which I commend him for, because more often than not I think your opponent is folding there.

I don't see anything to protect on this board, unless I have a higher setI'm pretty much dead against his hand. I was playing rather tight, 2 pair is not something I would likely be holding here.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that went through my mind at that exact point was that on both the flop and turn he took a very agressive line on a board that did not leave a lot of possibilities for your opp's hands, against people who had not yet shown a lot of strength.

I think that he took my flop check call as a sign of strength and that this motivated his turn bet. Which I commend him for, because more often than not I think your opponent is folding there.

I don't see anything to protect on this board, unless I have a higher setI'm pretty much dead against his hand. I was playing rather tight, 2 pair is not something I would likely be holding here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Maybe I'm reading ur post wrong. He bet $25 on turn and you pushed with AK, right?
Old 09-19-2005, 11:57 AM

If you're gonna check the flop, you've gotta check-raise somewhere.

That said, don't do it!
Old 09-19-2005, 12:30 PM

You need to either bet the flop or c/r the flop. After you check/call flop. You need to lead the turn. I really have no idea where you are at with this hand with the way you played it. If he folds you are in the lead, if he calls you lose.

With the way you played it, on the turn I would either smooth call or fold. I say this because at this point the only way you are going to get more $ in the pot and be winning is if you keep him in the lead. If you call the turn, your calling the river regardless.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to lead the turn. I really have no idea where you are at with this hand with the way you played it. If he folds you are in the lead, if he calls you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

this would be an argument for not betting the turn.