Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Is aggresssion (AF) important to winning in 5/10 6max

I was wondering the take of all of you on aggression, or more specifically AF as calculated in pokertracker. I am asking this because I am not a particularly aggresive player, AF = 1.97 (counting preflop stats) and I feel like I am doing pretty good results wise, and more importantly "making the right play at the right time."

However, I see a lot of you guys show your stats, both good and bad (but mostly bad because people like to share their misery more) and I am shocked at you guys who all have AF #'s in the 3's and 4's. I am really curious whether you all think that is a good thing or something to strive for? I believe at some point this is just chip spewing.

I actually believe there are some situations were it is correct to just check/call down, ie way ahead or way behind situations against LAG's or sponge donks (meaning if you bet they will call or fold, but if you check they will almost always bet, almost irregardless of their cards).

For the record, I do not play on auto-pilot so much of my very passive play is opponent dependent, so if you are playing on auto-pilot maybe it is better to be always aggressive than always passive.

What do you all think? Do you think there is a magic AF # that has to be reached to be a winning player at 5/10? I only have 50,000 hands (at this level) but feel like I am beating the game pretty good and do not feel I am giving away much, if any, EV with my lower AF. Interestingly enough, my SD/100 is 16, which seems high to me, so playing more passive does not seem to lower my SD at all, like one would think it might. Just random thoughts from a pokertracker sad, green face (loose aggressive/passive).
Old 08-28-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Is aggresssion (AF) important to winning in 5/10 6max

Those with numbers in the high 2's and 3's are not including their preflop aggression numbers in there.

Also, the general consensus is your AF is often representative of your playing style, how loose/tight you are, etc. If you're winning over a large sample, who cares if you have common numbers.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:51 PM

It would make sense that much tighter players preflop (15-20%) would have a much higher AF number than you, simply because the hands they are selecting to play preflop are premium hands. I was surprised too when I started seeing 15/10/4s out there (very tight very aggressive) but it makes much more sense if you think about it as related to the volume of hands you play.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:57 PM

Don't include PF numbers and you will be in the 2.5 range, which is normal.