Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: How much of a risk averse wuss am I? Won\'t move up to 10/20....

[ QUOTE ]
omfg. 60k roll and your scared for 10/20? This has got to be a joke post.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why? If he's been playing 5/10 6-max as long as he says he's been, 60K roll is definitely possible, but doesn't necessarily means he's should be ready for 10/20 6-max. His skills and confidence may have capped at 5/10.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:35 PM

Highly unlikely.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Highly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is highly unlikely?...

That he's a been a winning player at 5/10 for all this time?

Or that his skill and confidence capped at 5/10?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:42 PM

That he can't beat the 10/20.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That he can't beat the 10/20.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I wanted to make sure I understood you... The reason why I chimed in is because I can relate to his "wussiness" in going to 10/20 6-max. I too have a similar win rate at 5/10 6-max as the original poster (around 1.5BB/100) but I don't feel ready to go to 5/10. Are you saying a 5/10 player with an established winrate of 1.5-ish BBs should consider a move upto 10/20?

The reason why I don't feel all that confident in going to 10/20 is mainly because I tried those games on and off along side my regular 5/10 games. I don't know the exact hand count but I probably accumulated aroung 40K hands and I'm barely even. I've ran bad over 40K hands at 5/10 so I know that this isn't a definitive indication of my potential at 10/20, but what I've noticed during those 40K hands is that I was "scared" to play my regular game in 10/20 and I was more sensitive to the swings... way way more so than I was when I moved from 1/2 6-max to 5/10 6-max. When I made that move, I skipped 2/4 and 3/6 for the most part and I was able to adapt to 5/10 relatively easily.

But for some reason, the move from 5/10 to 10/20 seems MUCH harder for me and I can relate completely with the original poster. It'll probably be another month before I take another stab at 10/20, but each time I do so, I get the feeling that perhaps I've capped out at 5/10.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:18 PM

Since I play 3/6, I really don't know how much harder the 10/20 6-max is compared to the 5/10 6-max. So I don't know what your automatic BB/100 reduction will be in moving up levels. But with the size of your roll, the fact you have a guaranteed income with your job, rake back, and your amount of experience you definitely should be playing higher.

Feeney mentions in his book that you should be playing the next higher level up as soon as you are able to. Playing higher gets you out of your comfort zone and challenges your game. It magnifies the strengths and weaknesses of your game. It basically forces you to grow. In any form of competition, there's always the tendency to "play to the level of your competition". I play sand volleyball doubles competitively and the only way for me to really improve is to go out there and get my ass kicked by guys who are better than me. My ego hates losing and doing so on a regular basis forces me to work harder so I stop losing. If I just play against competition at or below my level, I'm stuck playing the same game and never grow as a player.

You have to reexamine why you're playing poker. I tell people who are interested in making money playing limit poker to focus on 2 things: enjoy playing poker, and focus on constantly improving. The other things take care of themselves. So, why are YOU playing? For fun? Additional income? To make as much money as possible? Figure out your poker goals. Also, my advice would be to focus on the 2 things I just mentioned.

Chris
Old 04-22-2005, 03:42 PM

Moving up to $10-20-Prerequisite BB/100 in $5-10 6MAX??

El Diablo makes some good comments in that thread.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Depends what your goals are...

[ QUOTE ]
Feeney mentions in his book that you should be playing the next higher level up as soon as you are able to. Playing higher gets you out of your comfort zone and challenges your game. It magnifies the strengths and weaknesses of your game. It basically forces you to grow. In any form of competition, there's always the tendency to "play to the level of your competition".

[/ QUOTE ]

Feeney assumes you want to improve as a poker player. I have built my 7k BR from a 10$ bonus when i first learned to play last October. I have put in 2k hands at 10/20 6MAX this last week and am running well so far. It has definitely forced me to promptly address some shortocomings in my game. My biggest slide so far has been about 85BB. However, even though my roll is a little short I know I have the discipline to move down if neccessary and I want the challenge. I want to take my game to the next level. It sounds like we just have different approaches to BR managemnet.

I guess it all depends on what motivates you...

Honestly though I'd say it sounds like your a wuss. (You asked.)

But the real question is, "Are you having fun where you are at?"
Old 04-22-2005, 06:19 PM

With a 12K bankroll I tried 5/10 6max (but not at Party - at Prima and Pokerroom - my Party skins rakeback is terrible) - lost about 80BBs, but I felt completely lost and frustrated - so I'm back to bonus-chasing mode for a while.

Even with this - it might be worth a shot - and if you feel lost, then step back down.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't kept track in awhile because pokertracker is so labor intensive

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me a break. So basically what you're saying is that I'm not capable of improving my game, bla bla because I haven't looked at pokertracker in awhile, and thus I shouldn't move up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry bro, not meaning to insult but I made the (correct) assumption that you were playing a Party skin. I was, and still am, confused by the fact that you state a pokertracker generated win rate yet state that loading hands is too difficult. All you have to do is set up the auto import and it literally takes one click every time you play to load. That is my only concern here and I know you can play the game because I sat with you many times.