Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Hiring people to play poker, setting up a company

[ QUOTE ]
why would the employee work for $10/hr (or whatever) when he knows if he just did it from home on his own computer, he could be making $40.

[/ QUOTE ]

security I suspect.
The same idea that most of my friends have when I tell them "It's not that hard.... even I could teach you to beat the game consistently enough to make a living."

Most people are of the assumption that playing poker for a living is extremely risky (even those who have already been winners for a little while).
For every 1 poster here who says "I've been winning 2BB/100 at 2/4 for the past 30k hands and am POSITIVE I could do this for a living" there are probably 9 players who are actually consistent winners who just don't have the stomach to try it as a career even though they have the bankroll for it AND their current job sucks.

I think one aspect about this small-stakes-poker business plan is that Party might not allow it.
They have the whole 'for entertainment purposes only' disclaimer I believe.

Either the head of this company has 50 accounts under HIS own name which isn't allowed....
or all the employees have accounts under their own names and thus should be allowed to withdrawl whatever funds they have in there to whatever account they like.

The employee who wants to take out all of the money staked to him in the account should easily be able to do so since it is in HIS name afterall.
Obviously if he signs some contract about this then that particular country's laws could have something to say on this matter.

just thinking out loud about this really. it's not like I actually know what I'm talking about (as per usual).
Old 04-05-2005, 09:34 AM

Microbob, good point regarding the whole "for entertainment purposes" issue with handling all the employee accounts. I hadn't thought of that, it would definitely present a problem. I'm sure if I contacted Party Poker about the idea, they would deem it illegal. And I couldn't have 50 people all playing in the same room because they would see the IP address. Anyway, after some serious thought, I decided to completely chuck this idea. If it's true that a few others have tried and failed at this already then the odds are even more against me. I love the thought of it though.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM

My version of the plan, which avoids some of the problems:

Set it up as a "training school". Take the talented locals, sign them up for, say, 1 year to teach them poker. They actually spend perhaps 8hrs/day playing, but will also recieve lessons and individual feedback.

After the year, they are free to play for themselves, although they will remain your affiliate. I think it would be much better supported if it was seen to be non-exploitative and "giving something back" (e.g. education in poker, perhaps with maths training or whatever also).
Old 04-05-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
outsourcing poker

[/ QUOTE ]
That retard said the PhD's in Thailand make <$100/month, this is totally incorrect. Guys working in 7/11 make atleast $80/month working 40hr weeks.

PHD's make alot more than that obviously, and if working in Bangkok, the sky is the limit.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 AM

Instead of using people playing your system, why not a team of bots?

Have them stashed in different places, playing only a few hours on, a few hours off. I'm sure you could rig up a central control point to switch them on and off, and so on.

Make sure they don't draw suspicion to themselves by not saying "ty" when they are complimented on their winning hands, but no other social intercourse is vital.

Set them all up with legitimate names and addresses of non-poker-playing relatives and pay the relatives $50 per week to keep them happy.

Bob's your uncle.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:23 PM

Can I be the guy with the black mask and whip who stands behind them yelling 'play, damnit, play!'
Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 PM

I read in a science newspaper that the growing business around online games like Ultima Online and Everquest ( people selling and buying equipment, weapons and skills) are reaching a BNP of almost a smaller European country. The estimated profit of playing some of this games is around $8/hour (I don't know how this number was calculated). A mexican internet company are letting some of there employers play this games to see if this can be profitable.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:55 PM

Now replace the word "bot" with "low payed worker". Suddenly what you are doing is legal and still profitable. No change in playing style necessary.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Everquest

Someone already brought up there is a business model like this build around MMORPGs like Everquest and World of Warcraft. Why don't you find some of the sites that do that and e-mail thier managers. Ask them how they run things. Since your in a totally different line of business I bet they won't mind.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Everquest

This is the top site for MMORPG gear/currencly exchange and sale:

http://www.ige.com/

Now these guys are some smart mother f***ers.