Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Some HE Pre-Flop questions

I'm wondering if I'm too loose (and possibly too aggressive) PF in the $1/$2 party game.

My standards are based on HEFAP; 1-4 in ep, raise 1-2 (although If I've had the table fold to me a couple of times--this has happened in more than one session--I'll raise 77 or 87s as a loose play. Is that giving these players too much credit for paying attention?), 1-6 in MP, 1-7 CO and 1-8 on the button. I never play Axo, never go below 98o, never play below T8s and 65s.

Until recently, I played Kxs often, thinking it was "almost" Axs, and have stopped that. I'll limp CO or button with it with many in looking for the flush draw or fold, otherwise I muck it.

Mostly what I worry about is LMP and CO/Button calls, especially when I open. Am I right in thinking *anything* worth calling with here is worth raising with here (when I open), or should I just muck hands like 98s that want many in when I'm LMP with no limpers? Should I call with that anyway and hope for 5 players?

Also, in MP I find the hardest hand by far to play is KJo. If there are no limpers, I feel I have to raise with it because I have little multi-way value, but then I've no idea how to play a flop like Q74r or AT4r. If there are limpers, I feel I should raise for value because people here will play trash like J8o, but then if I don't make top pair on the flop I feel *really* screwed. Am I overvaluing this hand?

I basically see a lot of people in various threads alluding to the fact that most peoples' PF standards are inaccurate for micro-limits and small stakes (lots of comments to the effect of "Jones is too loose") and was hoping somebody could point to a good thread or elaborate some while I wait (impatiently, I might add [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) for Ed's book to arrive in the mail [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Some HE Pre-Flop questions

Wait for Ed's book...

HPFAP is a great book but it's based on mid limit play. Low limit poker is an entirely different game. I tend to stick to the obvious starting hand requirements raise AA-JJ regardless of position TT if LP, play damn near all face cards MP-->LP, and super tight EP. Suited connectors down to 78 or 89. I know this wasn't that helpful, but the reason why I wanted to post was to tell you read a Low limit book, or a few low limit books

-Chris
Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait for Ed's book...

HPFAP is a great book but it's based on mid limit play. Low limit poker is an entirely different game. I tend to stick to the obvious starting hand requirements raise AA-JJ regardless of position TT if LP, play damn near all face cards MP-->LP, and super tight EP. Suited connectors down to 78 or 89. I know this wasn't that helpful, but the reason why I wanted to post was to tell you read a Low limit book, or a few low limit books

-Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read Jones. The consensus here is that much of it is incorrect, but it's hard to know exactly what parts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2004, 11:27 AM

From what I've read, the consensus is that Jones' post flop advice is weak. His starting hands haven't been criticized. If wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. LOL>

AZ
Old 07-14-2004, 12:25 PM

NPA Ed miller has said that Jones's preflop advise is okay. I think they might be a little too loose though -- like when he recommends raising A9 offsuit on the button with 4 or more callers. But then again, I think my preflop play still needs some work so who am i?
Old 07-14-2004, 01:06 PM

The best thing you can do is post specific hands and discuss them here. This way you will have specific questions answered one by one.

In your post you cover too many subjects/variants, and I doubt that it is possible for any one to answer them in a few lines.

Oh...and don't wait for Ed's book. Start now.

Good luck,
aas
Old 07-14-2004, 02:17 PM

NPA Ed miller has said that Jones's preflop advise is okay. I think they might be a little too loose though -- like when he recommends raising A9 offsuit on the button with 4 or more callers. But then again, I think my preflop play still needs some work so who am i?

That particular piece of advice is dubious. But his overall strategy gives you a solid, profitable foundation. Not necessarily optimal, but good enough for beginners.