Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Alter your play for donks - early game?

This guy is a perfect example of why its not so bad to berate the fish...clearly they won't listen to you anyway and will continue to play trash thinking they have high implied odds.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This guy is a perfect example of why its not so bad to berate the fish...clearly they won't listen to you anyway and will continue to play trash thinking they have high implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're calling me a fish? nh.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM

Suzzer, if you're still following this thread you may find the following helpful. Favorite Threads and Links for STT FAQ v.3

ps. I fold SC EP... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 04:36 PM

Wow thanks. I'll have to make some time to pour over all that stuff. What about KQs, QJs, JTs early pos.?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about KQs, QJs, JTs early pos.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I think these are very dangerous hands. People love there AK-AT, which means you are very often dominated when playing these hands, so you have to be very carefull.

That said, if the table is passive I may limp KQs from ep and QJ, JTs from MP. But usually, I want to be in LP so that I have position post-flop and know roughly what my chances are of seeing a cheap flop.

I know this thread turned into a discussion on raising suited connectors, but I personally feel you can get the implied odds and win big hands by limping, and thus not risking many chips pre-flop.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:00 PM

If you're at a LP table, what do you think about goosing the pot 2 or 3BB (very early tourney) if you're going to limp anyway? One of my big frustrations is trying to get action on a min. pot when these cards actually do hit. Also I agree these things are trouble hands, I think I like them a lot less than the norm (I haven't read SuperSystem yet, but I've been told he goes bananas over 89s). Seems like even when I do catch some of the flop, I wind up worrying about overflushes, overkickers, or chasing draws trying to figure out if I have any implied pot odds. That said I happen to be on quite a streak of flopping trips with QJ, then doubling up, so I'm loathe to lay it down at the moment.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Hold 'em is a game of pairs, not draws. Rinse and repeat.

If you insist on playing LAG, you want small pots and play post-flop well. If you can't get away from a hand, don't play these hands. You will lose with them.

CJ
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're at a LP table, what do you think about goosing the pot 2 or 3BB (very early tourney) if you're going to limp anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I'm not raising with KQs, QJs, or JTs early in tournaments. If you get called you have to be worried about dominating hands. If you don't get called, the blinds aren't much of a prize.

I like to keep the pots small until I have a strong hand and then try to get as many of my opponents chips as possible. I only want to make the pot big pre-flop when I have big starting hands like AA/KK.

Later, when the blinds are big and no one has entered the pot ahead of me, I'll raise the KQs/QJs/JTs and hopefully just take down the blinds.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:16 PM

Thanks and I agree. Preflop I think I'm actually pretty tight and by the book. But I think just about every book advocates loosening up a little to maximize your value if the table is pretty loose, which they almost always are on the $25 turbos at PS. I do have this little irrational love affair with QJ that I'm going to ride until it burns me a few times. But when I play it, I either lead out raising EP or MP or call up to a small raise MP/LP. I never call a big raise or anything maniacal.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:31 PM

Does anyone advocate any early game plays against LP/LAG opponents? Or is it basically just sit back and wait for a premium hand, until the blinds go up to $100 or so?

(In case you can't tell, boredom/patience is one of my "problem areas" at this point.)