Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: more babbling

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing we can do is look at hands. We can ask, "Were we ahead when the money was going in?" we can ask if there was a better way to play the hand. We can look at our opponents and their stats and preflop and postflop tendencies and make the best decision we can about whether or not a certain play was correct. We can look at the hands at showdown and envision a better way to play. We can try to put opponents on hands the best we can and play the best we can against that range, regardless of the outcome of the individual hand. The win rate at the end of those decisions is irrelevant. We can not accurately evaluate the quality of the decisions by looking at the win rate. The thought processes going into each decision is what can be analyzed accurately and is what is important until each of us have played millions of hands. Only then can we look back and ask which style, if any, was objectively better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah, that sucks. It's completely right but looking at the big picture like this feel sorta depressing. Being a sponge for poker knowledge, its tough to know whether certain approaches are correct until a year or two down the line.

Great post! Thanks for bringing me back down to earth...

___1___
Old 09-26-2005, 02:41 AM

Default Re: How Times Have Changed...

[ QUOTE ]
Public service announcement: Nikla is a LHE god. Think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nikla was explaining to me how he is a poker god and informed me of this thread so I thought a public service announcement of my own was warranted [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 AM

Thats weak schneider. Even Mihay has taken more off me than that. Just goes to show that huge donks apparently run hot against me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 03:19 AM

I like to play against 30/20 LAG players. They 3 bet with dominated hands like KJo and defend their blinds with dominated hands like K9o. If you are a good 23/17 player, all you have to do is tighten up a little bit when the 30/20 player is behind you, ie do not raise w/ A9o and 44 in CO, because they will 3 bet you on button and u are in a world of hurt. Just play solid ABC poker and use their over aggressiveness and looseness against them. Yum... Yum...

The 30/20 player gets his value from exploiting players that react incorrectly to his style by loosening up themselves and/or going on tilt and pushing too hard in marginal situations. Just avoid this and u will do fine.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to play against 30/20 LAG players. They 3 bet with dominated hands like KJo and defend their blinds with dominated hands like K9o. If you are a good 23/17 player, all you have to do is tighten up a little bit when the 30/20 player is behind you, ie do not raise w/ A9o and 44 in CO, because they will 3 bet you on button and u are in a world of hurt. Just play solid ABC poker and use their over aggressiveness and looseness against them. Yum... Yum...

The 30/20 player gets his value from exploiting players that react incorrectly to his style by loosening up themselves and/or going on tilt and pushing too hard in marginal situations. Just avoid this and u will do fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this advice against a good (post-flop) 30/20. If he's good, he'll see through this approach pretty quickly. You need to play good poker against him, and being OOP makes it tough to really do well in any given session; your best bet, I think, against a 30/20 who's good post-flop, is to not sit on his right.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:22 AM

Ok, very interesting stuff.

What we're seeing here is a generation transition. So many young kids, relatively new to the game, are looking for some magic formula to becoming a huge winner. I mean nothing derogatory against young kids as many of us [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (I'm 30) are very sharp when it comes to a thinking game like poker. I do, however know the magic formula and I'll be happy to share it at the end. But first, I'd like to address this changing of the times issue.

A winning style is comprised of much more than just "today's numbers" or "last year's numbers". Hold'em has been around for a long time and there are ZERO brand new concepts, plays or ideas that any of us can take the credit for. All we do is find new ways to phrase or talk about them.

For example:

15 years ago, this "LAGtard" "Donked" both the flop and turn at me with "Air" and then "Sexyed" the river when he connected.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS....back then was he was this crazy who nut who kept betting into me with nothing and then check raised the river when he got there.

Sorry if I got carried away with the illustration. My point is:
The game doesn't change; only the language does.

People have been recycling all of the same moves since the game started. Great players use every bit of information to their advantage whether it was last decade, last year, last month or last night.

As far as winning is concerned....

VPIP (as well as all other stats) isn't something we create a style around or play our hands according to -- it is merely a RESULT of adaptation. The poker player who makes the most money isn't the one who chooses the best "style of play". He's the one who makes the most correct decisions....and if that results in a 30/20 statistic, so be it.

Nikla deserves the credit that he is given for his ability to make the most correct decisions. Trying to emulate his exact numbers in order to achieve his winrate could spell DISASTER. His 30/20 is a result of those decisions based on the games he played, the players he played against, and the situations he encountered in them. Although similar scenarios will present themselves over time, each one is unique in itself and needs to addressed with the highest EV play at that particular moment. Nikla does this better than anyone I've heard of or seen, and THAT'S what makes him the best, not his VPIP.

Thanks ___1___ for bringing this back up. I love theory posts and I'll take them over hand history posts any day of the year.

P.S. MAGIC FORMULA TO WINNING THE MOST -- Be right more than everyone else. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: more babbling

awesome post Rory. Im going to save it and link it everytime one of these discussions breaks out