Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: I played really bad last night.......

You'd make 4 in with the button and blinds yet to act. I used to fold and kick myself for being too tight in those real loose games with juicy pots that often go 5-6 way for 2 bets pre-flop. Now I firmly believe that in 5-6 way pots QTs is an easy call from the hijack.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....and I'm pissed. I coldcalled 3 times, and I never cold call. IMO 2 of them were OK. One was 99 on the button after a raise and a CC. The other was KQs on the button after one raiser. The third one I think sucks, but I want your opinions.

Canterbuty 15/30 (9handed)
EP dude limps, MP raises, one dude CC's, I CC in the hijack with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. How awful is this? 1=suck, 10=awesome

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a super super easy call in that game.

I'd strongly consider 3betting both the 99 and KQs depending who the raiser was.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:32 PM

In a live 15-30 game I think all 3 of these moves are ok, online probably none of them are. The average live 15-30 game (at least in LA) is loose, passive, and the players are predictable. So if you call in the hijack w/ Q10 and the flop comes Q high and the original raiser bets and it is raised and the original raiser looks like he is getting ready to 3 bet when it gets back to him, you can easily get away from your top pair.

Online 15-30 games on the other hand are for the most part tight, aggressive, and many of the players are tricky, so these hands could put you in a tough spot postflop and you should not CC preflop. Just my 1.5 cents.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:49 PM

Really depends on your competition, but under normal circumstances, id give you a 5 for this decision.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:52 AM

Poker Bob,
Could you give us your thoughts on all three of these?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
99 -- 10pts
KQs -- 1pt (3 bet or fold)
QTs -- 1pt (fold)

[/ QUOTE ]

99 - 10pts. Exactly as 99 should be played in this sit.
KQs - 1pt. I'd give you 4 pts for a 3-bet and 10 for a fold.
QTs - 3pts. I'd give you 10pts for a fold and 1 pt for a raise.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:36 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

If you're not sure, err on the side of tight and fold.

First off, you don't really mention where the initial raise is coming from position-wise in the first 2 nor the type of raiser and coldcallers in between. Until you really know that...

The 99, if I'm playing that, I'm 3 betting. Put another CC in between and I could maybe go for the CC. After 3 betting, if it's not capped, you may not be in that bad of spot as it usually takes AA and KK out of the equation which will lean it more towards overcards against you for the raiser.

KQs: Where was the raiser? In EP, muck, in LMP or later or very loose raiser in EP, (player depending) 3 bet it. With no one in between CC it's usually 3 bet or fold. Then it's a matter of the persons standards for his raise.

QT: Real tempting. You know you'll likely get 4 opponents. Figure the BB coming along. However, usually an MP raise after a limper is a stronger hand than an Open MP raise. With this, you have to factor in the initial limpers hand. But more-so, the coldcaller in betweens hand. That is usually stronger than the limpers. If these guys, especially the CC standards are a little tighter, some of your outs are gone and it's an uphill battle. I wouldn't say it totally sucks because if this was a very light raiser and a loose enough table, I can see coming in with it. Against a typical raiser and such, I'd likely fold. You're really not in position to jam a draw in relation to the raiser and the other players so value betting a good draw on the flop is reduced.

b
Old 08-27-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Bob,
Could you give us your thoughts on all three of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. The 99 hand I thought was fine. A 3-bet may have been in order though, as the original raiser would 4-bet with AA,KK and maybe QQ and that's it. I probably could have figured out where I stood there very quickly, but IMO cold-calling is OK too.

The KQs hand was hideous. I simply didn't think. The initial raiser was in EP, and was probably something like 18/9. Had 2 or 3 monkies called along the way the call would be standard IMO, but since I was the only other player in the pot, the fold should have been easy. Awful.

IMO the QTs hand could probably go either way. I think I'd give it a "4", as it's likely not a neutral EV play, but it's not awful either. That said, 99.8% of the time I'm dumping it in this situation. But at the same time, I'd call in a heartbeat with a hand like JTs there. I suck.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:20 PM

well, imo it depends on how good you are. all 3 playes should be pos ev. 3 betting the KQs would be a little better.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:29 PM

1. CC is fine, be inclined to maybe 3-bet the right player.
2. 3-bet.
3. Fold.