Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Why not Grossman?

Honest question, why not? Does Orton really bring more to the table?

I've never been a Grossman fan at all, and it is an obvious gamble, but I think the Bears possesing a capable offense could turn them into serious title contenders and the reward >>> risk.

(also i haven't watched a bears game the entire season, please feel free to correct me)
Old 12-05-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Why not Grossman?

They won't play Grossman because they've been winning with Orton, but I'm on your side. By just about any measure, Orton has been the worst starting QB in the league. It's very unlikely that Grossman would be worse.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:05 AM

Well right now Grossman isn't 100% and he hasn't played since week 2 of last year. So he's pretty rusty and right now Orton has won 8 in a row.

The real sickining part right now is with the defense and the running game this team can go far in the playoffs. With Grossman they could be scary good. Of course if he comes in a starts making mistakes they could break up a pretty good thing.

FWIW, please let Grossman take over I want to go to the Super Bowl.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM

QB isn't really the offenses problem. The recievers are horrible and almost never open and yesterday anyway the pass protection was real bad. Grossman or any QB you can name would not have made much difference in yesterdays game. Defenders were pretty much draped over the Bears woeful recievers on every play.

At least Orton is making less mistakes and giving the defense a chance to win. Grossman would not improve things a bit and may actually be a step backwards at this point.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
QB isn't really the offenses problem. The recievers are horrible and almost never open and yesterday anyway the pass protection was real bad. Grossman or any QB you can name would not have made much difference in yesterdays game. Defenders were pretty much draped over the Bears woeful recievers on every play.

At least Orton is making less mistakes and giving the defense a chance to win. Grossman would not improve things a bit and may actually be a step backwards at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think some of the problem the receivers are having is QB related. It's one of those where in the NFL you must be able to see the Wide Out coming open and the ball has to be there just when he gets open. If the QB waits for the guy to get open and then throws the ball, a defender will be there.

The way that offense works most effectively is if the QB drops back stops and throws. Orton had at least five seconds every time he dropped back. He really needs to make a throw in that time or start moving out of the pocket.

I'm not 100% sold on Grossman being better. If the Bears are down by 10 going into the 4th quarter I would be praying for the defense to score if Orton's in there. I would feel a comeback was possible with Grossman in.

There are very few opportunities in the NFL to have an injury free season (which until this weekend the Bears have had on defense). I just want the best possible result for this season.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM

the real question is how bad are the Bears going to tank it in the playoffs this year?

Just like 2001; a crappy schedule and a few breaks, but an above average team at best.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the real question is how bad are the Bears going to tank it in the playoffs this year?

[/ QUOTE ] Give me an NFC team that is a clear favorite over the Bears.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and yesterday anyway the pass protection was real bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than yesterday the O-Line has played extremly well. They are not recieving nearly enough credit for the Bears success. Thomas Jones & Adrian Peterson are having great seasons thanks to the run blocking by this unit.

During the winning streak, Orton has been relativley untouched. I can't count how many times Orton has sat in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds before throwing. The O-Line completley dominated the Panthers very solid D-Line. John Tait made Julius Peppers become virtually invisible.

This line is night and day from the joke of a front 5 that was out their last season. Amazingly, it's most of the same guys, they've just improved greatly in the off-season.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:41 PM

MyTurn2Raise,

The 2001 divisional game where the Eagles waltzed into Chicago and pummled the Bears senseless was one of my favorite Eagles games of all time. Thanks for bringing it up.

-Fink

P.S. I have nothing to add to this thread, except to bring up painful memories for CHI fans because my birds suck this year and I need something to boost my morale.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MyTurn2Raise,

The 2001 divisional game where the Eagles waltzed into Chicago and pummled the Bears senseless was one of my favorite Eagles games of all time. Thanks for bringing it up.

-Fink

P.S. I have nothing to add to this thread, except to bring up painful memories for CHI fans because my birds suck this year and I need something to boost my morale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, it was great how Hugh Douglas takes a cheap shot at Jim Miller and ruins any chance the Bears have of winning the game.

It's great when a new rule is put into place and you can pin point the one play that caused the rule change. Thanks to Douglas's cheap shot you can't touch the QB after an INT, unless he's trying to make a tackle.