Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 09:55 AM

Default $109 - ugly spot ITM

Probably an easy decision, but in my defence I don’t play too many of these things so bear with me.

Anyway, 3 left, before posting I have T800 in the SB, BB has T750, Button all the rest. Blinds 200/400.

I have 95o, button folds. Obviously there is zero chance that BB folds any hand.

My thoughts on this were that given position & stack sizes I maybe could have folded here. Reason being, on my button the other small stack probably won't risk a call without some kind of hand if I push. Furthermore, if I fold my button, again the other small stack is unlikely to want to push through the big stack onto my BB without a strong hand.

Also if I fold I think small stack may not risk a push into big stacks BB without something strong given that he can see I will blind out in two hands. Hence he will drop back to 750.

Therefore, reality is I have a high chance to choose between this hand & two more on where to make my stand vs. likely 1 random hand. Chances are in the next two hands I pick up something that fares better than 95o. I guess this is counter-balanced by the fact that if I wait winning doesnt guarantee me 2nd.

Anyway, moot point because I pushed & lost.

What do you all think?
Old 11-16-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: $109 - ugly spot ITM

For me, at the $55s, I just push this as well. No point in hoping for miracles with one more orbit max, and what you did essentially transfers 200 from your SB to the big stack (when other shortie folds his SB to big stack next hand). The other shortie actually wins out this orbit vs. you because of his position advantage respective to the big stack.

You're going to have to get lucky sooner or later. It comes down to losing an extra 200 chips hoping that your next orbit will give you better cards than this one. This is also ignoring the fact that on your BB, the big stack is likely to push you all in anyways with t600 for you before blinds.

Push it in, pray, and close your eyes.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:59 PM

If you fold, you have 600 and he has 950. So, next hand he has the option to play or fold, in better position than you (preflop, SB is better position) and the hand after that on the Button he also has the option to play if he picks up a good hand and because he can now possibly let the blinds pass, you have pretty much no option.

That sounds worse than a 42.6% chance to double up here and even be in a position where with one more double you can fight for 1st.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you fold, you have 600 and he has 950. So, next hand he has the option to play or fold, in better position than you (preflop, SB is better position) and the hand after that on the Button he also has the option to play if he picks up a good hand and because he can now possibly let the blinds pass, you have pretty much no option.

That sounds worse than a 42.6% chance to double up here and even be in a position where with one more double you can fight for 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]