Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2003, 09:08 PM

Default Hustler Days

I just read the new book "Hustler Days" by R. A. Dyer. It's really the story of three "famous" hustlers, Rudolf Wanderone Jr. (aka Minnesota Fats), Luther Clement ("Wimpy") Lassiter Jr., and Jacob Jerome Breitkopf Jr. (Jersey Red) and their various careers from the 1920's through until the 1990's. It is a fascinating look at the subculture of the hustler and the history of pool--from it's peaks and it's
valleys.

As I was reading it, though, I was struck by the similarity to poker. Pool was extremely popular through WW II and into the very early 1950's...but as America went suburban, pool declined in the 1950's. Then, in the early 1960's two events happened nearly simultaneously. 1) A "hustlers" tournament was created in Du Quoin, IL (and covered eventually by Sports Illustrated), and the movie "The Hustler" came out.

This led to a resurgence of pool. (My family even bought a "Minnesota Fats" table during that era.) This resurgence lasted into the early or mid-1970's.

Notice the similarity to the recent explosion of poker due to the near simultaneous occurance of WPT, Moneymaker, and Positively Fifth Street.

Enjoy it while you can.

Chuck
(Hey Jimbo...have you read it yet?)