Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 12:58 PM

Default What is the deal with Daniel Negreanu?

It seems like Daniel has really fallen off. I mean, he IS famous because he is a poker player but I keep on hearing a lot more about his shopping sprees and his dog 'Mushu' than his play.
He had a pretty dismal wsop and has just had a pretty crappy year in 2005 in general. I'm guessing he plays poker for a couple hours a week nowadays. Has he gotten too comfortable? Is he gonna be like Phil Hellmuth, finding ways other than poker skill to garner attention from the TV cameras.
I almost never hear about him working on his game. I guess the only thing that comes close ar ehis challenge matches but those are meant more for show anyway. Anybody have similar thoughts?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: What is the deal with Daniel Negreanu?

[ QUOTE ]
had a pretty crappy year in 2005 in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

This qualifies as dumbest statement of the year.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 PM

those are meant more for show anyway

they may be meant for show, but there is up to $500k riding on some of them. that's serious money.

he made this challenge and people are taking him up on it. therefore, he likely may not enter as many tourneys this year and consequently may not be in the news as much. it does not mean he is having a bad year.

he had a crappy wsop, but most of the pros did not do much better (with a few exceptions)
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03 PM

why? He hasnt done anything this year
Old 08-04-2005, 01:14 PM

I guess two WPT final tables don't count.

It's certaintly more than the number of final tables, you, I, and millions of other poker players will ever see.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to say something so stupid, at least try and do some research before you shoot your mouth off.

Kevin...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're going to say something so stupid, at least try and do some research before you shoot your mouth off.

Kevin...

[/ QUOTE ]

why are you so defensive to him? lets go over what you just linked
03-Jul-05 $ 3,000 Limit Hold'em
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 22nd $ 6,725
11-Jun-05 $ 2,000 Limit Hold'em
36th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2005, Las Vegas 36th $ 3,665
25-Feb-05 Professional Poker Tournament
2005 L.A. Poker Classic, Los Angeles 3rd $ 60,000
24-Jan-05 $ 10,000 World Poker Open Championship Event - No Limit Hold'em
The Sixth Annual Jack Binion World Poker Open, Tunica 3rd $ 384,322
05-Jan-05 $ 7,800 WPT Main Event - No Limit Hold'em
2005 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure, Paradise Island 75th $ 11,600

he made a little over 10k in the entire WSOP. he had one 300k+ finish and his next highest was $60k. He has made about $465,000 in tourney winnings. Around the same time last year he had over 1.5 million in winnings not to mention his two WPT wins that would come later in sept. and dec.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:36 PM

My life would be so much better if all I had to worry about was the state of Daniel Negreanu's game.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Eegs you can't repeat performances. Look at all the past champions. Yes they've done well but last year David was player of the year (I believe), a repeat performance of last year is almost impossible. Winning tournaments is about skill but there's also a lot of luck involved or of course Hellmuth would win them all. Maybe he didn't have a repeat performance of last year, but he's still doing alright. He's won 465k in tournies and probally a load in the big cash games on top of him being up 600k in the HU matches. Look at others who have struggled (Seidel until this year), look at others who are inconsistant (Hellmuth won his first big tourney in a while this year (HU Championship). Consistantcy in Tournaments just is very hard.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eegs you can't repeat performances. Look at all the past champions. Yes they've done well but last year David was player of the year (I believe), a repeat performance of last year is almost impossible. Winning tournaments is about skill but there's also a lot of luck involved or of course Hellmuth would win them all. Maybe he didn't have a repeat performance of last year, but he's still doing alright. He's won 465k in tournies and probally a load in the big cash games on top of him being up 600k in the HU matches. Look at others who have struggled (Seidel until this year), look at others who are inconsistant (Hellmuth won his first big tourney in a while this year (HU Championship). Consistantcy in Tournaments just is very hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok I agree with this but the observation I was trying to get across was that it seems like DAniel is spending less time focusing on his game and I just wondered if some other people had noticed it or maybe Im wrong.