Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 08:10 PM

Default On Rudeness

Virtually every day now, I see a new member here ask a question that is steeped in misunderstanding, ignorance, laziness or newness to the subject matter. And almost every time, some more-veteran 2+2er steps in with a glib comment and tells this person in as rude-yet-brisk terms as possible that they're an idiot.

Why?

I realize I post this probably in vain -- it's an anonymous internet forum, and so rudeness is not only a privilige and right but it's almost demanded, it seems. But 2+2 -- a forum, community and resource which has given me poker advice which has earned me much money and other help with I'd count as priceless -- 2+2 has gotten a bad rap these days. And really, a lot of it is deserved. As a forum, we do treat new members with disdain and rudeness.

Look, I can't ask or tell you to stop -- most wouldn't listen anyways. Why would you? You don't know me, I'm just the guy with the frog avatar. Just a made up name and some picture I thought was cute. I'm not really even a person to most of you.

So look, I realize I can't ask people to be nice; that's pointless. And I realize, yes, it's a harsh cruel world and there's a FAQ and people should develop thick skins and I'm sure whatever you're dishing out is nothing compared to what you got when you first arrived. I know, I believe you.

But it isn't necessary. It really, really isn't. And while it may be fun for you, to see how quickly you can dismiss or belittle someone, that doesn't make it any better in my opinion. Not that, I realize, my opinion means anything to you.

I hate Craigslist -- aside from the useful buy/sell forums, the site is a cesspool of hatred, either from trolls or those who mean it. And I guess I see 2+2 heading that way, to some extent.

If I see a question I believe is so basic, or obvious, or in the FAQ, I ignore it. I try not to respond to trolls. On the days I'm feeling helpful, I will respond or PM; otherwise, I move on.

I'm not pointing to anyone in particular here, and I'm not asking anyone to do anything. I'd just point out that all of us were there once, beginners. And that, at least in my opinion, rudeness is never necessary.

That's it. For anyone who made it this far, thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

The Guy With The Frog Avatar
ElSapo
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM

Default Re: On Rudeness

I agree. Although, it does lend for some good humor at times.

It is really annoying when someone does it in the beginners forum. It should never been done there, no matter what the question is.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:40 PM

i agree with this post 100%. i am wiseass, but i never like to make somebody feel dumb or anything.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 PM

Nice Post. I agree with a lot of what you said.

nh
Old 06-26-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Virtually every day now, I see a new member here ask a question that is steeped in misunderstanding, ignorance, laziness or newness to the subject matter. And almost every time, some more-veteran 2+2er steps in with a glib comment and tells this person in as rude-yet-brisk terms as possible that they're an idiot.

Why?

I realize I post this probably in vain -- it's an anonymous internet forum, and so rudeness is not only a privilige and right but it's almost demanded, it seems. But 2+2 -- a forum, community and resource which has given me poker advice which has earned me much money and other help with I'd count as priceless -- 2+2 has gotten a bad rap these days. And really, a lot of it is deserved. As a forum, we do treat new members with disdain and rudeness.

Look, I can't ask or tell you to stop -- most wouldn't listen anyways. Why would you? You don't know me, I'm just the guy with the frog avatar. Just a made up name and some picture I thought was cute. I'm not really even a person to most of you.

So look, I realize I can't ask people to be nice; that's pointless. And I realize, yes, it's a harsh cruel world and there's a FAQ and people should develop thick skins and I'm sure whatever you're dishing out is nothing compared to what you got when you first arrived. I know, I believe you.

But it isn't necessary. It really, really isn't. And while it may be fun for you, to see how quickly you can dismiss or belittle someone, that doesn't make it any better in my opinion. Not that, I realize, my opinion means anything to you.

I hate Craigslist -- aside from the useful buy/sell forums, the site is a cesspool of hatred, either from trolls or those who mean it. And I guess I see 2+2 heading that way, to some extent.

If I see a question I believe is so basic, or obvious, or in the FAQ, I ignore it. I try not to respond to trolls. On the days I'm feeling helpful, I will respond or PM; otherwise, I move on.

I'm not pointing to anyone in particular here, and I'm not asking anyone to do anything. I'd just point out that all of us were there once, beginners. And that, at least in my opinion, rudeness is never necessary.

That's it. For anyone who made it this far, thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

The Guy With The Frog Avatar
ElSapo

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:12 PM

Right on ElSapo!
Old 06-26-2005, 10:35 PM

It's true. My first post here met with a rude, belittling response. Basically I had "dumbed down" a reply I posted trying to help a newer member who was asking a basic question, and got jumped on and insulted by another member because I oversimplified.

After seeing the same trend across other topics on 2+2 (new posters getting jumped on), I concluded that this forum has a general attitude that it has enough members already and doesn't encourage new ones. Consequently I rarely post here.

It's a loss that 2+2 tolerates this and has even developed some trademark phrases to belittle people (I'll let others elaborate). I have over 1,000 posts on another poker forum, where I've taken time to contribute, but was soured immediately on the response I got here.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:53 PM

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully it will have some effect.

-Craig
Old 06-27-2005, 07:12 AM

You know, rudeness has and always will be a part of any internet message board. Theres no way to stop it.

Best to just see it for what it really is. It's not a big deal at all once you accept it.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:14 AM

Post your [censored] elsewhere. You suck at poker!

Bad joke [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].