Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 10:03 AM

Default AKo preflop - 2 bets back to me

I think that one of my leaks is that I play AKo too strongly in the face of multiple raises.

I made an adjustment on a recent Party 2/4 hand:

I'm new at the table. 3 people from my fish list are at the table, but the raisers are unknowns.

I'm UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I raise
A few folds
MP reraises
CO 3-bets
Blinds fold.

And then I fold.

If there had been a coldcaller or two in the pot, I would've stayed in for value. I figured that I was way behind, though, and given that I don't know either of these guys I decided to play it safe.

Thoughts?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Default Re: AKo preflop - 2 bets back to me

NO reads mean that you gotta fold here, bad position and capped betting behind you means even if an A or K does hit you are going to be hard pressed to find out where you are at, which means that you also won't be able to extract proper value those times when you hit the flop and are still ahead
Old 06-25-2005, 12:21 PM

I'm not so sure that I would have folded here. After all, just how far behind can you be with AKo? AKo has just over a 48% chance to win the pot against 2 other random hands and I'll grant that you're way behind to AA (7% to win) but not quite as bad against KK (26% to win).

Although the UTG position is a stinker in this situation, the liklihood that you were up against AA or KK has to be offset by the fact that many small stakes games are pretty darn loose and you could have simply been facing two such players.

On the other hand, a bet (or two) saved is a bet (or two) earned and he who fights and runs away can win those chips another day.

This post has been brought to you by:

<font color="blue"> The International Waffling Opinion Society </font>
Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so sure that I would have folded here. After all, just how far behind can you be with AKo? AKo has just over a 48% chance to win the pot against 2 other random hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Are two random hands going to 3-bet and cap this preflop? Break out your equity calculator again and do AKo vs [AA-TT,AKs-AJs,KQs] vs [AA-JJ,AKs]. This is a ridiculously disciplined laydown. I don't know that it was right or wrong, but it took a lot of discipline, that's for certain.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:25 PM

I agree that it takes dicipline to lay down AKo and I certainly agree that he was not up against random hands. However, he had no read on or experience with these players and the cost of two bets for a little information early in a session isn't such a bad thing either.

In fact, capping and perhaps taking the lead in the hand has great value too. I don't advocate trying to control the action from such early position but please don't disregard the fact that the beginning of a session is a great time to establish yourself as aggressive as that will most definitely pay dividends later in the session.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:30 PM

I gave the 3-bet AA-TT, AK-AQ, and AJs, and the capper AA-JJ, AK, and AQs.

PokerStove sez: 25/33/41, and you're getting 10:2 immediate odds on the call.

If it were hot and cold, and those ranges were correct, you'd be right to call.

You are out of position, but I'm not sure this hand is so hard to play, though. Assuming the 3-bettor stays in, I think you can safely fold the flop most of the times you miss, and I think you have decent equity most of the times when an A or K shows up.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:50 PM

Any possibility these guys would tilt and cap with crap hands that you dominate? or are maniacs?

I don't like laying this down at 2/4 with no reads.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:01 PM

You aren't losing a lot by folding, but you lose something. You won't always be up against an AA or KK, and you don't know these players. MP could hold 77 and CO JJ at Party 2/4. I would see the flop and lead any ace or king on most boards.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You aren't losing a lot by folding, but you lose something. You won't always be up against an AA or KK, and you don't know these players. MP could hold 77 and CO JJ at Party 2/4. I would see the flop and lead any ace or king on most boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I'm guessing that a good line might be to coldcall the 2 and then check/fold the flop if I don't hit?

Someone earlier mentioned leading at the flop regardless, but I see that as just spewing chips.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it with a passion. You have AK.

[ QUOTE ]
I figured that I was way behind

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not.