Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 06-16-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Random Noob Questions

Couple of questions I have done a quick search and didnt find any real answers to them.

1 I noticed Stud Tracker mentioned in a thread have found the website and the product looks ok $15 isnt too bad a price neither. Does anyone use it and can they comment on how good it is?

2 A follow to yesterdays question on the implications of a higher ante. As a beginning player who by nature is going to play too many hands and take them to far am I better off playing at a higher ante site to negate some of this incorrect play?

3 Is there any software that tracks the dead cards in a hand or any other stud software generally I should be looking at.

4 Memorizing dead cards any little hints and tips or systems that I could try.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Random Noob Questions

1. The only program I'm familiar with is stud inspector. what does stud tracker do for you? does it break down your play?

2. a higher ante does suit a looser player, but I don't think it is the best place to start for a beginner. if I were you, I would recommend starting at paradise's no ante game and just play really tight. playing tight while you learn the ropes would suit you well.

3. stud inspector keeps track of the dead cards. not a bad program. not really necessary though I don't think.

4. first of all, memorizing the dead cards is semi-overrated. as long as you have a pretty good idea of how live your outs are and a basic idea of how live possible outs for your opponent are, you'll be fine. Just a general impression of there's a lot of spades out... or there's a guy raising with a queen, but two other queens are out... that kind of stuff.
things to keep in mind are how many of the suit are out and duplicate door cards.
it's also nice to take note of 5's and 10's since they are necessary to complete any straight.

that aside, there are definitely some good tricks to remembering cards. the goal is to make it easier on your mind...

first off... concentration and quiet help a lot.
second... try and incorporate them into your "analysis of the hand" for example hmmm teddy kgb raised with a queen even though there is 2 other queens out there... etc.

another thing that is useful is to clump the cards into groups...
instead of remembering 7... 8... 3... 4... 6.... j....
remember 783 46 j. the same reason we break social security numbers into manageable chunks...

say them back to yourself too at least a few times... keep refreshing your short term memory

some people use stacks of pennies or similar "devices"

there was a good post somewhere about memory tricks that may be useful... maybe somebody could post a link
Old 06-16-2005, 06:20 AM

Come on guys....Memorizing dead cards? Most tables often aren't full but there are only so many cards to worry about...Check immediately if your straight outs, pair outs, flush outs are gone. It's usually easy to tell how playable your hand is. It's more a matter of discipline than "counting your outs". The only situation I can think of is if you're playing marginal hands like 494 in stud hi and you catch a 3 on 4th and wonder how many 3s were live???? If too many of your outs are dead you're playing the wrong hands anyway. I'm assuming you're 1-tabling so if you're still having trouble just say it out loud every few seconds if you must, "Ok, one of my aces is dead...." Is there a lot of folding in your game? Most players are still around by 4th and 5th streets in the games i play ($1/$2 and below) so it's not hard seeing dead cards as they're usually all on the screen still.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:39 AM

Yes people are still around just want to get into good habits from the off, being a multitable almost autopilot look at peoples stats type holdem player having to think and remeber even my own cards is a novelty.

Stud Tracker seems to be like a poker tracker but for stud but only currently works on Party and skins.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on guys....Memorizing dead cards? Most tables often aren't full but there are only so many cards to worry about...Check immediately if your straight outs, pair outs, flush outs are gone. It's usually easy to tell how playable your hand is. It's more a matter of discipline than "counting your outs". The only situation I can think of is if you're playing marginal hands like 494 in stud hi and you catch a 3 on 4th and wonder how many 3s were live???? If too many of your outs are dead you're playing the wrong hands anyway. I'm assuming you're 1-tabling so if you're still having trouble just say it out loud every few seconds if you must, "Ok, one of my aces is dead...." Is there a lot of folding in your game? Most players are still around by 4th and 5th streets in the games i play ($1/$2 and below) so it's not hard seeing dead cards as they're usually all on the screen still.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think it matters what your opponents have or are drawing to?

one of the good things about stud is that you have more information than hold em and usually are playing against unobservant opponents who are not looking at the dead cards, dont know when they are drawing dead, dont see scare cards in other people's hands, etc....do you want to be the player who only looks at their own hand or the player that is also able to take advantage of other people's poor play as well to eek out that extra profit?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The science of card memory post no 1 by Doc Az

Science of card Memory Post no 2 by Doc Az
Old 06-16-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to post # 3 that he mentions in post # 2?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a link to post # 3 that he mentions in post # 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could never find a #3 to this post in the archives. At the end of #2, it appears that he may have ended it there, because if I remember correctly, he said he "thought" it would take 3 posts. Perhaps he changed his mind or actually said everything in the 2 posts.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could never find a #3 to this post in the archives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have again gone back through the archives in an attempt to find #3 with no luck starting at the end of March 2002 back until February 1st, when #1 was written. I did however find several more great Doc Az posts that don't pop up when using the search function. I may sit down one day and provide some links to them, because they were all filled with great advice that we could use today.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: memorizing exposed cards

Try arranging the exposed board cards mentally in numerical order. It's much easier to remember 2, 3, 7, jack, king rather than 7, king, 2, jack, 3. Keep track of important suit cards separately.