Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Is this a weak/tight fold?

This is my first hand posting...Please go easy...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

CO ($15.50)
Button ($18.30)
SB ($52.50)
BB ($21.50)
UTG ($26.45)
UTG+1 ($28.83)
MP1 ($19)
MP2 ($51.86)
Hero ($24.62)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $8</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $12</font>, Hero folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: $30.75
Old 09-03-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Is this a weak/tight fold?

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first hand posting...Please go easy...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

CO ($15.50)
Button ($18.30)
SB ($52.50)
BB ($21.50)
UTG ($26.45)
UTG+1 ($28.83)
MP1 ($19)
MP2 ($51.86)
Hero ($24.62)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.75) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises to $8</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises to $12</font>, Hero folds, CO folds.

Final Pot: $30.75

[/ QUOTE ]

Paired board, odds are they aren't raising the flush draw or A4, I'd say it's a good laydown. Plus, you don't have very much committed to this pot yet.

The area where I don't like your play is I don't think you've opened on the flop for enough. The pot is over $6 and you are only betting $4 into the pot multiway with the board paired and a flush draw out. I'd be more aggressive here, at least a pot-sized bet.

It's not a weak/tight fold though... that board with two raisers coming back to you just smells like trouble. And it's DEFINITELY not impossible to put either MP2 or the CO on a 9.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:17 PM

I think its an ok fold.
I'd say there's a 75% chance he has the 9 and a 25% chance of A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something along those lines. Given that you're a 23% chance (3.3-1) to win the hand by the river. So you cannot push this. (Sure the flush would fold but you don't want the flush to fold) I can't see calling this either due to the negative implied odds. (he's only putting more $$ into the pot if he has the 9 or has the draw and a diamond hits)

So I'd fold. (btw if you had the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I think you could put him on a 9 with 99% certainty) Note that the above assumes that MP would have raised TT/JJ/QQ/KK preflop. Oh and I would have bet pot on the flop.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies so far...Another question: What is the benefit of a pot sized bet on flop as opposed to 2/3 pot?
Old 09-03-2004, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies so far...Another question: What is the benefit of a pot sized bet on flop as opposed to 2/3 pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you want to bet whatever is the maximum a draw will call when you have a made hand. If its 2/3 pot, then bet that. But on low limits people will call pot sized bets with draws all day long. This is more important when there's 2 or more opponents as an underbet + a call can give the 2nd opponent correct odds to draw, something you never want to do.

If you're betting your own draw, still bet the pot because doing otherwise reveals your hand.