Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Ace with good (not great) kicker

Ace with medium kicker, curious what you would put UTG on, as well as general play.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

UTG ($21)
Hero ($31.90)
UTG+2 ($8)
MP1 ($31.80)
MP2 ($57.95)
MP3 ($32.30)
CO ($17.90)
Button ($1.20)
SB ($29.60)
BB ($40.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $1.20 (All-In), SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.95) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

Turn: ($17.95) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $13 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $8.

River: ($43.95) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $43.95
Old 09-03-2004, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Ace with good (not great) kicker

[ QUOTE ]
Ace with medium kicker, curious what you would put UTG on, as well as general play.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

UTG ($21)
Hero ($31.90)
UTG+2 ($8)
MP1 ($31.80)
MP2 ($57.95)
MP3 ($32.30)
CO ($17.90)
Button ($1.20)
SB ($29.60)
BB ($40.20)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $1.20 (All-In), SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.95) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

Turn: ($17.95) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $13 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $8.

River: ($43.95) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $43.95

[/ QUOTE ]

More than likely AQ, although i dislike that play from UTG, I dislike your AJo even worse UTG+1, but that's just me personally. It's just a hand you can get yourself into far too much trouble in, especially this far out of position. He could also be on a set, but 88 and 22 just seem a touch much for $3 when he knows the pot is going to be played heads up.

A8 isn't feasible unless he's a fish and neither is A2. AK is a possibility also.

Regardless, I'm assuming you lost this hand, and I'll stick with my initial thought which was AQs.

He could also be on a flush draw, but I highly doubt this, he has to figure you'll call the small raise coming back from his allin so he's not looking to bluff you out here because odds are it'll never work.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:40 PM

Agree with all of the above. Your raise to $3 boots out his small-mid pairs as he doesn't have a large enough stack to go for the set. So 88 and 22 are gone.

The problem with your $3 raise from EP is it folds every ace that you dominate. An AK $3 raise would be fine because at least AQ and AJ *might* come along for the ride (then you're on the good side of this hand)

As it is you've folded probably every hand except those that beat you preflop. Not a good place to be in...
Old 09-03-2004, 01:45 PM

It doesn't matter what UTG has, you should have pushed on the turn instead of betting 1/4 the pot. Unless you like giving flush draws a free ride. He probably has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He could also be on a flush draw, but I highly doubt this, he has to figure you'll call the small raise coming back from his allin so he's not looking to bluff you out here because odds are it'll never work.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG isn't pushing for fold equity. Since it was posted, I wouldn't be surprised if it was A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Without any reads posted, I honestly doubt AQ is going un-raised in a $25 party game.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:07 PM

Well it turns out he had 88.
The problem here is i have a hard time figuring out even in retrospect how to get away from this hand. I've already overplayed the hand preflop, so if I had upped the bet then i'm just playing AJo rediculously. I dont like folding AJo preflop either. If I bet less, hes still going to call me preflop.

As for the flop, I cant imagine checking the flop after I hit an ace. If I bet weak, I'm inviting him to bluff, if I bet strong, hes got me too.

I've played a decent amount of limit and am only venturing into no limit. Is this just a situation I need to get a feel for with more experience?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:13 PM

Just don't raise AJ UTG+1 in a 10-handed game.
Actually, not playing it at all UTG in a full game probably wouldn't be a horrible decision. You're either going to win a small pot or lose your stack. If you can't lay it down I can almost assure you its going to be EV- for you...big time.

Personally, I'm not confident enough in my game to play it in EP so I don't. In Party 25 there are much easier (and safer) ways to make $$.