Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: 5$ Bubble play is still killing me

[ QUOTE ]
I just am looking for some answers not a lecture not argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Some people here lack tact, and I have a tendency to get a bit volatile myself when I think someone is being unnecessarily rude, but you really do need to read the FAQ.

As to your hands, the first two look pretty standard to me. Sometimes they call and you lose. That's just the way it goes. You can't expect to run over every game.

That third one, I don't know if I'm doing that too often. Your opponent has 3x your chip stack, so he's probably going to call pretty liberally. You'll probably have more success pushing into the middle stack.

On the other hand, if the guy was a real weakie who was limping every time, I might be tempted to pull the trigger. I would need a very solid read, though, and I wouldn't do it to often. Sooner or later he's going to get pissed off and call.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the first 2 hands to 600, and the 3rd I check. It's way to early to be pushing. The BB is only 200. Of course if either player comes over the top of me for all my chips and I hold 8s in the SB I call. And I would probably have to call with the A8. But you have too much play here with your stack to just shove the whole thing in preflop without a standard raise first.

hmmmmmmm i might raise to 500-600 from the bb with QJ...i'm not sure. it would depend on my read of the SB so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it too early? You only have 10BBish. And you plan on raising a huge portion of your stack- you'll be forced to call any all-in... might as well go all-in yourself with that extra FE.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:26 PM

Well I believe you would have enough to fold if you didn't like the outcome of the flop. 1750 isn't bad at all.

Not only that but with the 8s you're essentially making it only a flop hand. For instance, if you raise and you get called by 2 overs, he flops nothing and you push, he folds only seeing 3 cards, when it was a coin flip to start. The A8 is worse obviously unless you are called preflop by A9 or A10. Anything better than that would push over you. So I guess pushing the A8 is a good arguement because of this reason. Still I think I am more comfortable taking a flop with 12bb.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I believe you would have enough to fold if you didn't like the outcome of the flop. 1750 isn't bad at all.

Not only that but with the 8s you're essentially making it only a flop hand. For instance, if you raise and you get called by 2 overs, he flops nothing and you push, he folds only seeing 3 cards, when it was a coin flip to start. The A8 is worse obviously unless you are called preflop by A9 or A10. Anything better than that would push over you. So I guess pushing the A8 is a good arguement because of this reason. Still I think I am more comfortable taking a flop with 12bb.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's your play when one over comes? Two? Three? If you check, BB gets to steal with any hand even if he misses. You just threw away tons of chips...
Old 12-22-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry I don't spend 24/7 learning forum rules. I don't even know WTF a "bump" is. Your a real champ sammy thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would this qualify as an angry newbie?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 PM

You're asking me how I play a player I don't know...sooooo I don't know how I would play it. I would have to be sitting in the game with those players to know for sure. I'm usually not afraid to take flops with 12bb. If I had say 6bb maybe 7, then pushing would of course be instant.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry I don't spend 24/7 learning forum rules. I don't even know WTF a "bump" is. Your a real champ sammy thanks for the help.

[/ QUOTE ]

24/7? Takes ten minutes to read the FAQ at the top of the page, which clearly proclaims "READ BEFORE POSTING." Problem is, AL, you are not the only one on the forum. If EVERY new poster came in and started posting things without having taken the time to read a few posts, we'd be constantly bombarded by things that have already been answered (terminology, posting etiquette, etc.). In fact, this forum DOES get filled with a lot of garbage posts -- that causes it to be harder for the serious people here to get to posts that help them learn and play the game better (which, of course, is the whole point).

I DID answer your question to the best of my ability, BTW. On two of them you played them perfectly IMO...and on one of them you were a little too passive IMO. Along the way, I pointed out that in this forum, we offer free advice to one another so that we can all learn...and all that's asked of you, as a "new" poster (I put that in quotes cause it says you've actually been a part of the community at-large only three days less than me), is that you take the time to familiarize yourself with terminology and forum rules...so that you will get the help you need without detracting from the forum's overall health...and so that, hopefully, you will also be in a position to contribute positively to the forum. Knowing terminology like "bubble" and knowing not to bump your post to the top of the heap when no one has responded a mere 23 minutes after posting it...is key to you becoming a productive member of the forum.

Pointing that out to you was not a crime on my part. That you responded in the above way further entrenches my position that you currently lack the attitude/discipline to get serious here. Coming here for a quick fix to a leak is not going to work. To really get something out of STTF, you'll need to become an active part of the community...you get what you put in.