Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Embarrassed by how I played this AKs

[ QUOTE ]

3. between being 4:1 to make the flush on the next card, and the possibility that you may be cleaning up some outs like getting an AQ to fold, the turn bet is thin for value but okay generally.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does getting AQ to fold cleaning up outs?

psw
Old 07-06-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. between being 4:1 to make the flush on the next card, and the possibility that you may be cleaning up some outs like getting an AQ to fold, the turn bet is thin for value but okay generally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth would he want AQ to fold for a bet?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, cap that preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are all of you so eager to cap this preflop? Worst case scenario, hero is up against AA/KK and a giant dog. Best case scenario, one QQ/JJ and one AQ/AJ in which case hero is still a dog. Capping won't isolate, since someone calling three bets cold will also call four bets cold. Yes, AK is suited, but that doesn't add so much value that capping is warranted here.
Capping will also make sure that we aren't getting more info on UTG who may cap if hero won't.

All in all, this "always cap with AK" attitude is strange, especially without motivation. Seriously, if there is any time when AK should not be capped, it is in UTG+2 facing three bets.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All in all, this "always cap with AK" attitude is strange

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no 'always' in poker. Anyone who says always cap PF with AKs is wrong.

I do cap here, however. Of course, AKs has a lot of equity, and that is a consideration. But *relative position* is a much bigger consideration here. By capping PF, Hero closes the action and effectively slams the door on any other opponent's ability to have the relative button. Of course, someone behind Hero could call 4 cold, giving them the button. But this is very unlikely even at a loose passive table, and if it does happen Hero can safely slow down postflop unless he flops the nuts.

Mostly I cap PF because of the situation it puts me in postflop if I flop good, like Hero did here. It's not as likely as some suggest that Hero has the best hand, but its not impossible. But Hero probably has a huge equity edge, so he should try to get as much in to the pot as possible. The best way to do this is if everyone checks to him, he bets, and is raised. Then Hero can reraise. This is a dream scenario for hero on the flop.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:33 PM

This might be read-dependent, but I like a cap preflop to get the pot heads up. As you played it, I think a raise on the flop would be good for increasing your chances of winning the pot and because you might already have the best hand.

Bet the turn.

Check the river through because a bet is not for value and you're not going to get a PP or someone with a T or 8 to fold on this ugly board.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Many people call with overcards. If any unpaired Broadway cards fold on 4th street, those cards become outs on fifth street, and AK has a better chance of winning unimproved. The last thing you want with AK unimproved is a bunch of other overcards like AJ, AQ, KQ, etc. continuing to the river.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like a cap preflop to get the pot heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best you will usually do here is 3-handed. The open-raiser is not usually going to raise-fold his hand.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Capping won't isolate, since someone calling three bets cold will also call four bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true at all.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Capping won't isolate, since someone calling three bets cold will also call four bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

AND it's not unheard of for the initial preflop raiser to fold to two more coming back at him. by the way, is that correct, with something like AQo?
Old 07-06-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many people call with overcards. If any unpaired Broadway cards fold on 4th street, those cards become outs on fifth street, and AK has a better chance of winning unimproved. The last thing you want with AK unimproved is a bunch of other overcards like AJ, AQ, KQ, etc. continuing to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that you don't want people with those hands calling along. I just don't think you should call it buying outs. Outs are cards that improve your hand when you are second best. You are driving out folks and hopefully creating blanks.

This is just my understanding of the language. Please correct my if I misunderstand.

psw

Language is very important to me. I drive my brother-in-law crazy.