Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Agressive Villian / blocking bet on river

Villian seems VERY aggressive although i have very few hands with him. I'm curious what y'all think of the blocking bet on the end? Does it scream weakness?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($403.75)
Hero ($290.30)
BB ($266.35)
UTG ($343.70)
MP ($150.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $5, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($18) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $15.

Turn: ($78) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40.

River: ($158) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $190.35</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $398.35
Old 12-11-2005, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Agressive Villian / blocking bet on river

I'd much rather c/c the river against this type of opponent, looks like you have him beat on the turn, let him bluff this river blank.

Also, if you want to blocking bet make a real bet, like $80.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 AM

I don't get the flop.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I decided to take a stab at the pot with what i though might be the best hand. The minraise didn't mean much to me but since i was getting 4-1, had a gutshot, a backdoor flush draw, and 2 overcards (one of which was probably live) i decided to call. What don't you get?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What don't you get?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think a bet on this flop is going to shut down a very aggressive opponent.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think a bet on this flop is going to shut down a very aggressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking maybe he didn't flop anything? This really isn't the discussion i want to get into....The fact is i want to see a turn card and i don't like check/calling.....I hated the fact that he bet but i still think i had a call. Do you disagree?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking maybe he didn't flop anything? This really isn't the discussion i want to get into....The fact is i want to see a turn card and i don't like check/calling.....I hated the fact that he bet but i still think i had a call. Do you disagree?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just curious, since I wouldn't ever lead this flop vs aggressive guy. Not saying its right or wrong.

Obvious call of his min raise.

I would check/evaluate river.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:30 AM

Default Thoughts and results

I figured villian most likely had a T and would check behind if i bet the river (even though he was aggressive). So i wanted to get some value from my aces. At the same time it was still possible that villian had a monster. I did not want to make a bet that would make me pot commited.

When i bet the river villian pushed instantly and i figured i had an easy fold. Wrong!!! He had 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (no hand / no draw)

I agree that i should have just check called this river (but a part of me still likes extracting more value from villian if he has a 10). Keep in mind that i had only played with villian for about 10 hands at this point and although he seemed aggressive i did not yet know he was a lunatic...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Thoughts and results

against aggro players, dont block bet rivers at all, almost always check-call. he sees your 1/3 pot bet on the river as exactly what it is, a weak bet. he can be pushing with a lot here that you beat.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 AM

Folding to the flop raise seems to be the easiest solution. I don't think you can expect to get paid off when you hit a one-liner to a straight, and you're not sure if you want to hit an A or a J. Villain also has position. In fact, I'm not sure why you even opted to lead into villain. The best I would ever do here is make a very loose check-call.

[ QUOTE ]
Villian seems VERY aggressive although i have very few hands with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be having a run of cards which warrants him being aggressive.

Garland