Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Article Re: Participation In Golf

Interesting. LINK

Radical idea is less expensive courses with less maintenance, which are shorter and therefore require less land, which means dialing back the golf ball. Oh and those courses would be walkable. And maybe we could get kids involved by hiring caddies. I wonder if this has been tried at a public course. Ah, what does St. Andrews know anyway.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Default Re: Article Re: Participation In Golf

Reasons why golf isn't all that fun, to me atleast. To expensive, to time consuming, to inconvenient to get good tee times, excessive waiting, and its frustrating.

I personally made the transistion to frisbee golf, and have been having much more fun. I recommend it.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:04 AM

Congrats on 15K!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 AM

ty sir.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reasons why golf isn't all that fun, to me atleast. To expensive, to time consuming, to inconvenient to get good tee times, excessive waiting, and its frustrating.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Not if you have a real job. It's very reasonably priced for the length and quality of entertainment it provides.

2. Well, that's a personal choice, but I'd rather spend 4 hours golfing than 4 hours drinking or playing video games.

3. This isn't a problem where I live, but I know it is in some places. Just plan ahead.

4. Stop sucking.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 01:16 PM

1. I have a real job. Depending on the course it can be reasonably priced, and sometimes its "worth" it to pay for the nice courses, but you forget that the equipment can be pricey as well. Up in Bellevue, WA there is a muni course that is $40.00 per 18 during the summer, and its a dump. How the f is that possible?

2. why not spend 4 hours golfing and drinking?

4. [censored] you.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:37 PM

As a regular golfer, I am happy there fewer players. The last thing I want to see when I am playing are a bunch of beginners slowing down play. I can't think of a single reason why I would want more people to take up the game. Higher demand would translate to higher greens fees and slower rounds.

I do know a few course owners very well though and they have a tough time putting their finger on why rounds are down. They like to blame the weather, the economy, slow play, etc. I think it may be that Americans are generally getting more lazy and look for more passive activities now than 5-10 years ago. And kids are increasingly interested in X-games type sports like skateboarding, motocross, etc. There has been a slight cultural shift in interests among Americans away from golf.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:34 PM

I wonder if the increase that seems to have peaked around 2000 was caused by Tiger. Once the bandwagoners realized that golf is tougher than it looks (and not cheap), many began to lose interest.

If this is correct, is poker on the same path?
Old 07-27-2005, 04:04 PM

I agree that cultural factors/trends in recreation, etc... may have an impact. I do think the game would be better served if it is reasonably available to people. it will never be an easy game, but expensive, slow rounds do drive down participation. There are a bunch of reasons for slow and expensive golf, some of which have been kicked around here before.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Why do you want more people to golf? As I said, I can't think of any reason why I would want more participation. What benefit would current golfers realize by new players taking up the game?