Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 12:45 AM

Default NL 400--AA raised on flop, whats the standard line?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

UTG ($441.98)
Hero ($465.3)
CO ($440.3)
Button ($380.36)
SB ($206)
BB ($1124.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $15</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $11.

Flop: ($32) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $165</font>.

Final Pot: $257

Just sat down in the table, so no reads. Im mostly a sng player, and trying to mix in some nl 400 on the side and have to adjust so Im trying to post some hands.

Is this raise good, or raise more?
If he reraises, do I fold?

And if he calls, whats my plan on the turn?

Thanks a lot
Old 07-07-2005, 01:01 AM

Default Re: NL 400--AA raised on flop, whats the standard line?

I usually call and checkraise the turn, since this is a very safe board. Reraising is cool too, but I think I would make it about 180 or 200. If I was playing this hand, I'd just assume I was ahead and try to get the money in on the flop or turn, unless the turn was a K. If he has a set, I get stacked. Pretty simple.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:30 AM

I would smooth call and CR all in on the turn. Your ahead most of the time here and sometimes behind a set. However, with your line, you don't paid off by KJ and KQ, and by getting it in on the turn, you do.

Gabe
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 AM

I like a call here rather than a reraise. The board is pretty drawless, so you are way ahead or way behind. Reraising lets him get away from this KJ type hands, and lets you die on the sword of a set.

Flat call - in position and plan to call him down.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:20 AM

I would just call the flopraise since the raise can be all the way from xK to a set.
By doing the big re-raise on the flop you can get away from your aces if raised but you're letting ALL the weaker hands get away.

I would just call his raise and depending on what he does either bet or raise. If he re-raises I would automuck.

I dont see any hand worse than yours paying you off when all-in except for way overplayed AK.

Without reads I really cant see why you have to go broke against a set here.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:35 AM

It's pretty freaking unlikely to be against a set here. If he called a 4 BB raise out of position heads up with 88 or 33 (unlikely in the first place), then he would be likely to lead it out to get paid off instead of this silly minicheckraise stuff.

So you can be pretty sure you're ahead. Like others said the board is quite safe so I'd prefer to flat call the flop planning to raise the turn (or bet strong if he checks). You're in position so you can't checkraise (either you changed the post or people misread it).

If the turn is a blank and he bets strong for you, say $90, then there's some merit in just calling there too and planning to jam the rest on the river. If the turn is, say, the 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and he leads out 50 or something I'd stick to plan A.

Kings
Old 07-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Preflop play is fine
Flop: I would just call his check raise. Let him think he is ahead with his AK.
Turn: Call what ever he bets (assuming no K), if he checks bet 2/3 pot.
River: Assuming another K hasn't hit get it all in.

This looks like an AK line from the villain to me, had almost this same exact scenario happen to me on Party last night. I called his check raise, and let him bet his stack off by just calling him down.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:05 AM

No way you lay this down. Doesnt matter even if you spill water on your laptop that very instance go buy a new one real fast and hit call. Easy call.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:29 AM

I like a call of the miniraise and then call down his subsequent street bets.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he called a 4 BB raise out of position heads up with 88 or 33 (unlikely in the first place)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this unlikely? $11 to call with $400+ stacks? If I am villain I call with 88 or 33 here every time.

-Solo