Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 06:11 PM

Default I\'m not...good.

Absolute $5 rebuy. 180ish started, down to 5.
Big stack is 173K, shortie is 55K or so, blinds just went up to 4K/8K with an ante I can't remember. I have 88K or so.
Most pots up until the 3K/6K level have been raised PF. (we started the FT at 500/1000).
After the 3/6 level I started seeing the occasional limped pot. And some miniraising but still mostly open raising.
I'm in the SB w/ QhJh.
folded to the button (~T105K) who limps (weird). I complete (1st mistake?) and BB checks.
Flop is 9h7h4s.
I check (2nd mistake?), BB checks, button bets 16K.
I think about pushing but figure if he's just trying to take down the pot a call may scare him. So I call (3rd mistake?). BB folds.
Turn is 2d. I check (4th mistake?) and Button pushes for 80K.
I fold (5th mistake?).

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: I\'m not...good.

I don't mind completeing here, although a push is not bad either.

After the flop you are ahead of all 1 pair hands as long as they don't share one of your cards (i.e. his kicker is a Q or J), and itts very likely you have the only 2 card flush draw.

Since I'm probably ahead, I check the flop hoping for a bet, then push all in because that's the only bet size you have left, and taking the pot down now is ok given its size in relation to your stack.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolute $5 rebuy. 180ish started, down to 5.
Big stack is 173K, shortie is 55K or so, blinds just went up to 4K/8K 200 or 300 ante. I have 88K or so.
Most pots up until the 3K/6K level have been raised PF. (we started the FT at 500/1000).
After the 3/6 level I started seeing the occasional limped pot. And some miniraising but still mostly open raising.
I'm in the SB w/ QhJh.
folded to the button (~T105K) who limps (weird). I complete (1st mistake?) and BB checks.
Flop is 9h7h4s.
I check (2nd mistake?), BB checks, button bets 16K.
I think about pushing but figure if he's just trying to take down the pot a call may scare him. So I call (3rd mistake?). BB folds.
Turn is 2d. I check (4th mistake?) and Button pushes for 80K.
I fold (5th mistake?).

Comments on all streets appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this sounds terribly wrong to me, except Mistake 3.

'Mistake 1': Looks okay to me. You're out of position, but you're getting 4 to 1 on your complete with a pretty solid hand. If you're scared the button is slowplaying a monster, just tread lightly if you flop top pair.

'Mistake 2': I don't mind checking. I don't mind a semi-bluff lead out, either. But I don't think checking is a terrible mistake. I'd have a plan in mind before I semi-bluff led out, though. I'd absolutely hate to get re-popped by the button if I led out at this. Again, I hate getting raised so much that I don't mind checking. And I'm not sure what a semi-bluff lead out would get him to lay down that you'd want him to lay down.

'Mistake 3': You're getting 2.5 to 1 to call here; you're 5 to 1 to hit your flush on the turn -- so you need a good read here to call this, thinking your implied odds gets you in the right spot to call. If you suspect he's slowplaying AA/KK, consider your reads on him, and decide if he'll lay it down if the third heart hits the board. If he's disciplined enough to lay it down, that ruins your implied odds; if he limped with junk before the flop and is just trying to steal, you won't get paid off if your flush comes anyway - so this might be a mistake, as you'll have to know he'll pay you off even if the 3rd heart comes for the implied odds to be right. I think this might be a mistake calling here. I'm not in love with pushing, but he's got alot of fold equity here, so that's not a terrible play; and I certainly like pushing alot more than calling -- however, I can't see him laying down AA/KK here when you push -- and you suspect he might be trapping with a big hand. More likley than not, I'm folding here, but I don't know what kind of read you had on the button - a good read would make me change my play here.

'Mistake 4' & 'Mistake 5' look like the right play to me. It sucks to kiss 22% of your stack goodbye, but you could still do some damage with the 68k you've got left - particularly with the blinds so high and the stacks so short. Even though your 68k is less than 10x the bb, you're still one double up away from being the chip leader. I'm dumping this on the turn (like you did, correctly, IMO).
Old 11-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Completing is ok, but since the table is playing tight all of a sudden I would raise all-in pre-flop. If the limper had AA, well, I have the AA-killer, i.e. the suited connector. With the blinds so high, winning this pot at any point in the hand is a good result. If I completed like you did here, I am definitely going all-in with two hearts and two overcards. I'm not sure if I'd try for the check-raise, or just open push. Probably push if I had to pick.

-Gross
Old 11-17-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I completed like you did here, I am definitely going all-in with two hearts and two overcards. I'm not sure if I'd try for the check-raise, or just open push. Probably push if I had to pick.

-Gross

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's limping with only a monster (AA/KK/QQ) or junk, I like check-pushing the flop because you'll at least pick off a bluff when he's got nothing. Open pushing will only get your opponent to lay down what you're already way ahead of.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After the flop you are ahead of all 1 pair hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Should read all 1 pair hands lower than J.

Sorry,
Woodguy
Old 11-17-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Should read all 1 pair hands lower than J.

Sorry,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Woodguy,

Can you see someone limping on the button here with a low-mid pair? Just seems very unlikely to me. Maybe 22-44 (and a limped 44 just flopped bottom set on us, won't be folding and has us in worse shape than AA/KK does). I just can't see someone limping with 55-TT here.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:30 PM

The only real mistake is the 3rd one.

[ QUOTE ]
I think about pushing but figure if he's just trying to take down the pot a call may scare him.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, that's fine reasoning, but it forgets one thing: YOU just want to take down the pot. You haven't made a hand yet; pushing will take the pot most often and you have plenty of outs if your push is called (at least 9 and probably 15).

The other decisions are fine-- you can consider a PF shove or a flop bet-- but the call on the flop is the one that cost you the pot.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you see someone limping on the button here with a low-mid pair? Just seems very unlikely to me. Maybe 22-44 (and a limped 44 just flopped bottom set on us, won't be folding and has us in worse shape than AA/KK does). I just can't see someone limping with 55-TT here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a smaller pair, or someone limped a suited connector and hit one pair on the flop.

I think it is right to be suspicious of a open limp, but its not always a monster.

Regards,
Woodguy