Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Default What books I have and what might I be missing?

I have the following books:
<ul type="square">Brunson - Super System 1 &amp; 2
Cloutier - Championship No-Limit &amp; Pot-Limit Hold 'Em
Hellmuth - Play Poker Like The Pros
Jones - Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em
Malmuth, Miller, Sklansky - Small Stakes Hold 'Em
Sklansky - The Theory of Poker[/list]I admit that I haven't read any of these books thoroughly but now I have some extra time that I would like to dedicate to poker and I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions as to which order I should read these books in? Or maybe there are some books missing that I should read before these? Any suggestions?

As background info I have been playing NL HE for about 6-7 months now mostly in home games and some online.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: What books I have and what might I be missing?

If NL is your main game, I would suggest reading the section in SS1/2. Other books I would recommend for no limit are:

Harrington on Hold'em (Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie)

Pot Limit and No Limit Poker (Bob Ciaffone and Stewart Reuben)

As for limit play, you may want to start off with the WLLH, and as soon as you feel confident with some of the concepts, you can then move on to the SSH book.

As for TOP, this is a book that will give you a solid theoretical grounding, and a foundation that you can feed off when reading other books. I would read this book as often as required to fully digest the concepts, (but don't expect to remember everything after one or two reads). It is a book that is useful to refer to on a regular basis.

PJS
Old 03-09-2005, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Harrington on Hold'em (Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie)

[/ QUOTE ]

This I have on order, should be showing up soon.

I also have Sklansky's book "Hold 'Em" coming. Someone else recommended that I read this one first, then SSHE and finally TOP. And then move on to SS1/2. Does that sound reasonable?
Old 03-09-2005, 10:46 AM

Maybe I should also say that in my home game I usually only play NLHE (in a single table tournament format). Online I play NLHE at the .10/.25 (max. $25) level (ring games) or MTT for anywhere between $1 and $25 entry fee.

I have nothing against starting to play Limit HE I just haven't really done it yet. I kinda joined the whole poker bandwagon recently and therefore started right away with NLHE...
Old 03-09-2005, 12:40 PM

If you can I would return "Hold'em", as that book has very little if anything to offer based on what you already have. It is basically a primer for true beginners in the game.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 PM

If I were you I would return, the Hellmuth book. It pretty much sucks and the advice for limit holdem is terrible. This is the book that i used to "learn" how to play poker. Then I read SSHE and realized that I was playing totally incorrectly.

He never even adresses counting outs and calculating whether or not to bet.

Greg
Old 03-09-2005, 01:58 PM

Hi jManHH. These are great books to start off with providing you are playing limit poker. However, if you mainly play NL what I would recommend is reading TOP and the Harrington book when you receive it. (TOP is required reading for all variations of poker). The chapter in Super System is more towards cash game poker than tournament play, so when you get chance, this is also a book to read.

When you do decide to start playing limit, as you will have already read quality books such as TOP and Harrington on Hold'em, you should be ready to go immediately to SSHE which is an essential book for limit play.

Another book worth purchasing in the future (as you play at higher levels/stakes) is Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players (David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth). Again, this book focuses on limit play.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:17 PM

I do not think you should return Sklansky's Holdem book. It is certainly worth the $15 bucks or so that it costs. This was the first book on Hold'em and it is a good introduction to the 2+2 style of writing/instruction. It will touch on subjects that you will be studying further in TOP, SSH, and HPFAP.

Also, Hold'em poker is still known for having the best section on "desired flops".

almost all decent poker books are worth the price even if they are weak in some areas, slightly outdated, or do not offer many new ideas.

Remember, even if you only get a few new ideas or if a book simply restates something you have read before in a better way for you, that should pay off the book.