Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 09:18 PM

Default 3 way 5-5PL hand OOP

5-5pl, we are 10 handed. Standard game, no special reads that these guys are idiots, but they may be. I'm not really a regular OH8 player, I just play occasionally for variation.

Hero is SB, dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Preflop : 2 folds, EP calls $5, MP1 ($505) calls, MP+1calls, Hero ($600) checks, BB ($320) checks

Pot is $20, flop 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

So I've flopped bottom 2 pair with the nut low draw.
Hero bet $20, BB calls, 1 fold, MP calls, MP+1 folds.

Pot $80, Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

3 pair now plus the nut flush draw. Enough to continue betting out right?
Hero bet $40, BB calls, MP calls

Pot $200, River 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

OK so I've rivered an underboat and quite probably have the best high hand.
Hero bets $100, BB calls, CO raises to $300.
My action? Can I consider folding? Insta-call? Comments on all streets welcome.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: 3 way 5-5PL hand OOP

I'd check-raise the flop, but betting out is not bad, either. I'd feel much worse about the turn card than you apparently do. Betting out is OK, since it could win you the pot. check/fold to a pot bet is not a bad option, either. I would have check/called the river; a set is a very likely holding for one of your two opponents.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 PM

I would've checked the turn, and I think you can safely fold to this river raise (playing for half a pot, with bottom full in a hand where your opponent could very often have a set on the flop).
Old 09-22-2005, 11:22 AM

Not sure I like the idea of a checkraise on the flop, what is the plan if he calls and the turn blanks? Convince me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My turn bet was basically a blocking bet. I had enough redraws that I want to get to the river and then reevaluate. I felt I might have faced a full pot bet if I checked, instead I got away with half pot. If I did check then faced a full pot on the turn what's my action? Fold presumably?

I initially liked the river, and basically the $100 was a value bet. I figured I'd only get raised by a better house, so my action was to fold to for $200 more.

Sadly I was mistaken, and if I'd had some reads on these donkeys then I probably would have called.

CO called off the rest of his chips and I saw the showdown:

Final board was 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

MP shows A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
CO shows K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

MP takes down the low with garbage and the CO takes down the high with his horribly played flopped straight.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure I like the idea of a checkraise on the flop, what is the plan if he calls and the turn blanks? Convince me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 pair and a nut low draw is a monster, especially on that flop where both cards that makes a straight are both in the "cards you don't play" book of omaha/8 and after all you did raise preflop (you have to punish people playing any 4 and yes I am aware you didn't), so really shouldn't see a 79.